Couple Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 06:02 PM
Robby

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Couple Questions

I just have a few questions.

-What year did they stop using speedo cables in the instrument cluster? I want to say its was 95?

-I have a set of horns off a big rig. Im debating whether or not to put them on my truck. I know I need a air compressor. But does it have to have a tank? I found a small cheap one at Harbor Freigh that runs off 12 volts and is like 100 psi. Its just tankless. Would that power them?

-What is the difference between the F250 and F350s? At least in our trucks? Its just leaf springs and possible axles right?

I appreciate any help or even tid bits of info. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
92 would have been the first year with no speedometer cable.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Robby

So will any cluster from a 92-97 share the same compatibility?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yes they will. Also for your airhorn idea what i did was take two sets off a international truck using a 35.00 5 gallon air tank from Advance auto parts with a 125psi max rating. At 100psi they may not be as lould but will work. For a compressor i have other things that run off of air so i needed something good and i can rely on. I just used a Lincoln Navigator air bag compressor drilled and tapped for a 1/4" air line fitting. I used a manual 1/4" ball valve to turn them on and off. Also yes the only difference is the axles and springs.

Last edited by 96F350KID; 05-01-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPurdy View Post
So will any cluster from a 92-97 share the same compatibility?
Yes and no. Any cluster from 92-97 will plug in and work, but if you put a cluster from a different year truck into yours don't be surprised if you end up with a few random lights that stay on all the time, and some that won't come on at all. Ford monkeyed with the wiring on the clusters quite a bit through the years for whatever reason... I can't recall exactly but I think 92-94 are the same, 95 is in its own world, and 96-97 are the same but don't quote me on that.
I have experienced this first-hand when I installed a 92 cluster in my old 95 to diagnose a faulty PSOM. Everything worked but I had a handful of lights that were always on. Oh and one other note, since the PSOM (which is integral to the speedometer head) stores vehicle mileage, whatever mileage the rig that the part came out of had will show on your rig if you swap clusters.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:33 AM

On the 250 350 thing, they are basically exactly the same. A SRW f350 and f250 in the same configuration have the same frames and rear axles. On the OBS they have some weird front end set up on the 250's that normally gets swapped to a d60, which is stock on the 1 tons. The springs are the same. The frames are the same. The duallys have a d80 in OBS and SD's. ITs a beefier axle. Basically its just a rating thing, and what you can legally do. The trucks have WAY more potential than they were rated for. Now frames would be different between your pick-up's and cab chassis.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo444 View Post
On the 250 350 thing, they are basically exactly the same. A SRW f350 and f250 in the same configuration have the same frames and rear axles. On the OBS they have some weird front end set up on the 250's that normally gets swapped to a d60, which is stock on the 1 tons. The springs are the same. The frames are the same. The duallys have a d80 in OBS and SD's. ITs a beefier axle. Basically its just a rating thing, and what you can legally do. The trucks have WAY more potential than they were rated for. Now frames would be different between your pick-up's and cab chassis.
And the F250 has 2" rear lift blocks, the F350 has 4" rear lift blocks.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty4x4 View Post
And the F250 has 2" rear lift blocks, the F350 has 4" rear lift blocks.
Meh. I hardly count those though. Its almost like saying the 350 has fender flares and the 250 doesnt (if that were the case). Its really not a matter of performance. But your are right.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo444 View Post
Meh. I hardly count those though. Its almost like saying the 350 has fender flares and the 250 doesnt (if that were the case). Its really not a matter of performance. But your are right.
Yeah it's not a huge thing, but something to know I guess. Guys that put a D60 in their F250 usually will swap to the taller blocks to avoid the Cali lean and keep the truck more level.
And actually re-reading your post, the F250 front springs are quite a bit heavier than stock F350 front springs due to the twisting action of the TTB front end.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty4x4 View Post
Yeah it's not a huge thing, but something to know I guess. Guys that put a D60 in their F250 usually will swap to the taller blocks to avoid the Cali lean and keep the truck more level.
And actually re-reading your post, the F250 front springs are quite a bit heavier than stock F350 front springs due to the twisting action of the TTB front end.
That was one thing I didnt comment on because I didn't know. I know in the SD's they're the same but wasn't sure on the OBS's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.