Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

4x4 Myths.

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  t_bois 
#1 ·
Alright. I have 4x4, Ive owned 4x4 in the past etc. But over the last few years of owning trucks Ive heard so much different crap about 4x4 I don't know what the hell to believe and what not to. I just have some stuff Ive heard and want your guys .02

-Driving on dry pavement with your hubs locked in is bad

-If your hubs are locking and your driving you can shift into 4H while moving

-You can run 4H on dry pavement if your axle ratios are the same

-Driving with your hubs locked decreases your mpg.

Just some stuff Ive heard. Ive always kinda been a by the books guy with my 4x4 because I didn't know exactly what I could and couldn't do. So for me it was, hubs unlocked until you need them, shift into 4H while not moving. Do what you need to do. Shift into 2H, then unlock hubs.

#3 ·
u can drive on dry pavement with hubs locked, but not recommended (if u know u are gonna drive up on some snow and u have a chance to pull over before and lock them that's ok)
yes u can shift on the fly when the hubs r locked- in or out( just don't try to shift into low range at 55mph lol )
axle ratios need to be the same regardless or u will be breaking u-joints and/or snapping axles
well driving with them locked will technically add extra friction - thus lowering mpg's but i don't think it is much - much fuel costs r pretty much the same, summer or winter
hope this helps ;)

#4 ·
I think it's good to run the hubs locked sometimes to get things moving. It curculates gear lube in the diff and keeps the axle joints and spindle bearings free but keeping them locked in is just causing excessive wear.
I've also locked in my hubs in 3 foot deep water so a little thought first goes a long way.

#5 ·
Alright that clears alot up. Thanks guys. And Troykimber I wont lmao.

#6 ·
Driving with your hubs locked in is fine, but do not drive in 4H on dry pavement. If you’re going strait it's not too bad, but if you've got the wheel cranked you will put a lot of stress on the drive line (you may even find your driveline's weakest point).

Better check the owner’s manual on shifting into 4 wheel drive. I can't put my truck into 4H unless I'm going under a certain speed (automatic hubs are nice, but have some down sides on the older trucks). Once I get it into 4H, I can shift in and out of 4H at any speed with no issues as long as I haven't backed up in 2 wheel drive.

Last thing is that many people will say 4 wheel drive will not help you stop when you're on a snow packed or icy road. I always find I have more control stopping, turning, or accelerating when my back wheels are locked to the front wheels. Better control = shorter distant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.