76 F250 diesel swap, which motor to use? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
76 F250 diesel swap, which motor to use?

I have a 1976 F250 Highboy , with a 78 cab and front clip, with no motor, np435 trans and divorced np205, Light Dana 60 front. (the rare one with ball joints and disc brakes) and 60 rear.

The truck originally had a 360 in it, I've thought about rebuilding a 460 i have for it but for the same money i could probably just buy a diesel, and get twice the fuel miledge.
Im stuck between just buying a 12 valve cummins and 2wd NV4500 and buying the $800 mount/cross member from auto world in montana, buying the motor mounts from destroked for $400 or just custom building motor mounts.
Or just cutting the crossmember out of 80-97 ford truck and welding it in between my frame rails and using a 7.3 IDI with an aftermarket turbo kit or a 7.3 Powerstroke and having a wiring nightmare to deal with, and using a 2wd zf5 or zf6.

I just wanted to see if anyone out there had any insight into such a project or has done it before, or has any other Ideas that could be more practical.

thanks,
Scott

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 09:02 PM

depends on how much you have to drop in it... already seen a 7.3 powerstroke in a late 70's model, probably been done with a 12v too, and I know its been done with a 4bt... looks like you got a bit of body work too...

If it were me, I'd knock the body out, then decide what motor. $$$ allowing, I'd think outside of the box... like maybe a DT360, DT466, or maybe some small mechanical diesel fuel sipper... but i'd probably keep it mechanical too, if trying to stay on a deadline of sorts. If not, go all out. Hell, buy a crate 6.7 powerstroke, REALLY turn heads! and no emmisions in the 70's
Old 04-22-2011, 03:54 AM

I wonder how much a crate engine is (never looked)? I'd be liking the cummins swap in there with a flat black paint job. Ya baby! Git er dirty & don't worry about the look so much. Just curious, is there a thread here about doing a cummins swap into an obs with pics?
Old 04-22-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
I wonder how much a crate engine is (never looked)? I'd be liking the cummins swap in there with a flat black paint job. Ya baby! Git er dirty & don't worry about the look so much. Just curious, is there a thread here about doing a cummins swap into an obs with pics?
For a crate 6.7? like 19k lol. ANd by OBS do you mean your BS? Because I dont think so on here, you might try the nation. There is one on here for a 4bt into a late 70's model crew cab that is SAWEET!
Old 04-22-2011, 09:39 AM

I've always wanted a 77 with a turbo'd 6.9l
Old 04-22-2011, 09:55 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I know you can get the new 600 HP Coyote gasser motor with all the harness,computer etc... from ford for about 15 to 20K and its get in the high 20's on mpg.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:06 AM

Well if you go with a 7.3, well for that matter, any motor, there is a company out there that will build you a wiring harness for whatever you want to put in there. They just need the motor choice, the year/make of the vehicle, and what kind of acessories you are going to run. They utilize as much of the factory instruments and dash lights/switches as possible. Now I don't know the name or where they are located, I just happened to see it on the t.v. show "Trucks" on the Spike channel. I never tried to look them up figuring I would when I go to swapping the 7.3 I have into a '91 F250 4x4. But if I had your high boy I would deffinetly go with the built 460 and pound the **** out of the trails. You ever think about selling it???
Old 04-22-2011, 10:59 AM

Hate to say it, but put a Cummins in it.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:20 AM

Id say go with the dt466 or the 7.3, dont get me wrong the cummins is a good engine, but they are everywhere and in everything. dare to be different. besides the zf6 is a better transmission than the NV. as for wiring, i believe the company that Nashotah7 is talking about is called painless. Painless Performance: The Official Home Page For The Best In Automotive and Diesel Performance Products
Old 04-22-2011, 02:26 PM

The body isn't quite as bad as it looks, the hood is about rotted threw but i have i perfect hood that came on a front clip i bought at an auction for $8.00, but the fenders and core support are good, It needs one cab corner, the floors are good and i need to patch a little hole or two at the bottom back window. I have a perfect 40/20/40 console seats out of an 01 dodge ram, The bed floor is decent, the wheel wells are good, but on both sides behind the rear wheels there are rust holes, and the driver side has bondo around the hole for the filler neck. The brake lines look fine.
I know the proper procedure is to do all the bodywork first, and then the mechanical side. But, i feel like if i have a motor in it, and it'll start and move, it will give me alot more motivation to do all the bodywork. Im aiming in the direction of a good running diesel that i can afford to drive, that i can take 4 wheeling and pull my trailer with, the paint and body aren't a top priority, i kind of like the miss matched paint scheme, or maybe do one of the "patina"made to look old paint jobs.

The picture of it is from last spring, since then I've power washed it, put it in my garage, fabricated a headache rack out of an old cattle gate, and filled the bed up with exhaust and plenty of other junk.

I've looked into dt414, dt466 and detroits, The DT series are really large engines, diesel power mag. had a readers rides picture of an 80's C30 with a 11 dump bed that had a DT466, the owner said he had to stretch the engine compartment 4 inches and spend 2000 hours on it. There are a couple youtube videos of old chevys and fords with 4v53's and there is a 79 f250 tow truck with a 6v53 which looked like a severly tight fit and i think they weigh 1800 pounds,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.