Has anyone heard of "black diesel" or using it??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 05:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Has anyone heard of "black diesel" or using it???

I saw a post on craigslist about black diesel and it says you can make used motor oil as a fuel. The site didn't really say how to do it or give a lot of info about it. I was just wondering if any of you are using it or have heard of it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 05:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i havent used it and wont unless i have to. yes, its used motor oil, usually thinned out with diesel. its best to use a centrifuge on the oil to remove metal and water/coolant contaminates. improper use WILL destroy your injectors.

be extreemly careful about synthetics, they dont burn very well and can cause issues. its is also very dirty exhaust and pollutes more. some people care a lot and others dont.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:02 PM

the problem with using waste Motor Oil (WMO) is the amount of soot in it. You just can't filter it out. I know a few guys running it in IDI's but the PSD injectors don't like it.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh darn. I was just l
Old 04-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Looking for a way to save some cash. Have you heard of any other fuels that can be ran thew our trucks with out messing up our injectors? That I can use by making little to no mods? Ive just been thinking about it because fuel is about 5 bucks a gallon and I don't want to buy a gay hybrid haha. Thanks
Old 04-22-2011, 06:48 AM

ive been running 50-60% wmo for the past 3k miles. no issues, no drivabilaty problems, cold start up is a little worse but not bad, huffs a little blue smoke at an idle when cold but clears up when it warms up, it blows more black smoke on hard acceleration, idles fine, cruizes fine, accelerates fine. will it damage my injectors? maybe, but thats not a concern for me. if the injectors die, it will be parked and ill drive one of my other vehicles. i have another complete engine that is going in for a wvo swap once i finish rebuilding it. i filter it down to 5 micron after its mixed 50/50. i have a small shop so i know the oil going in isnt from a car with a waisted intake gasket, head gasket or a blown motor. my fuel filter clogged about 1500 miles ago. but then again, i have no idea when it was last changed. i pull my fuel filter out about once a week to inspect. still goin good as of now.

im not saying its a good idea to run it. im not saying its a bad idea to run it. i figured id give it a whirl and see what happens. i will probably run the summer with it and do the motor swap next winter. the block in my truck is cracked and jb welded together because some a-hole put water in it and it froze, which is why i have another motor. ive got nothing to lose so why not try it and save a little money?
Old 04-22-2011, 10:55 AM

WVO is nice alternative, mix it 50/50 with diesel. start up and shut down on on diesel. Just makes sure the WVO is processed to remove the water and french fries.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
They way I look at it I won't use veggie, tranny fluid or WMO on my 2,500 dollar set of injectors LMAO
Old 04-22-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96F350KID View Post
They way I look at it I won't use veggie, tranny fluid or WMO on my 2,500 dollar set of injectors LMAO
I don't blame you. My injectors were only $1200.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:03 AM

I'm all for using any available resource to save money and to keep from paying the big $$$ on fuel. Nobody likes the high fuel cost but there's not much you can do when you have to drive your truck everyday. WMO, WVO, and BIO is the alternative to paying the high cost of fuel! There's no 100% guarantee nothing bad will happen but plenty of parts get trashed because of bad pump fuel so there's always a risk when filling up your truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.