97 rough idle now no start, plz help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 07:23 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 rough idle now no start, plz help

alright my 97 powerstroke is dead, the other day while on my lunch break i started my truck and everything way normal for about 30-45 seconds, all of a sudden the idle got super rough, i was able to keep it running by reving it up but the truck wouldnt go over 15mph... now 2 days later the truck wont start at all, when im cranking i get smoke from the engine bay and lots of white smoke from the exhaust. im not getting any lights on the dash either.

the things i have changed:

-cam sensor
-fuel filter
-made sure im getting fuel in the fuel bowl

and thats it, i really dont know what eles to check since this is my first diesel
the truck has run flawlessy before then like a switch everything stops.

any help or options i can check or replace? please guys i need some help this is my daily driver!
thanks fellas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i would bet you smoked a harness. check all the valve cover gasket wiring harnesses for burns and melting.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:33 PM

sorry i forgot i checked the harness, and smelt the oil cap and nothing smelt burnt, and other then being dirty the harness looks good, also checked all the plugs that i could see and made sure everything is pluged in and no broken wires.... thanks for helping out
Old 04-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Does your "wait to start" light come on?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:48 PM

yes it does, everything in the cab seems normal, the "wait to start" goes on then off in the same amount of time as it did before, no lights come on or flash....just when i crank nothing happens now, no start.... now it doesnt even sound close to starting, 2 days ago it would start but sounded like the world was comming to an end, was TERRIBLE, but now it wont do sh*t..... thanks for helping fellas
Old 04-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zappattack1800 View Post
yes it does, everything in the cab seems normal, the "wait to start" goes on then off in the same amount of time as it did before, no lights come on or flash....just when i crank nothing happens now, no start.... now it doesnt even sound close to starting, 2 days ago it would start but sounded like the world was comming to an end, was TERRIBLE, but now it wont do sh*t..... thanks for helping fellas
Which harnesses have you checked? The ones that cause issues are under the valve covers. Referred to as the UVCH.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:55 PM

Maybe some bad fuel. Where is the smoke coming from in the engine bay?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:04 PM

i tryed to check all the wires above the engine, as for the wire harness that goes to the valve covers, i checked them to the point where they go into the valve covers but not under the valve covers, i did check under them when i did glow plugs in december, and they appeared to be ok, i though bad desel too, so today i put some fuel in my front tank that way empty, changed the fuel filter for the 2nd time and cranked away, but still nothing, not sure how long it would take for the fuel to travel to the injectors, but i did crank for a while....
Old 04-20-2011, 08:08 PM

It should only takes 10 - 20 seconds from out of fuel to start.....maybe a little longer. I'm wondering if your hpop isn't leaking, you never said where it was smoking from in the engine bay. Maybe a bad fuel line? Thus the smoking in the engine bay?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:03 PM

o sorry, the smoke in the engine bay is from the rear of the valley, kinda near the turbo from what i can tell. i just got ahold of a snap-on fuel pressure reader, so ill test that tomorrow morning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.