Does everyones truck run like garbage when cold - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does everyones truck run like garbage when cold

or is it just me? Even today when it was like 60 degrees when I first started it. It seems like its running on 5 cylinders and doesn't have any get up and go. Once she warms up, everything is fine. Is this EBPV, IPR, injectors, something else, or is this just the way it is? Ordinarily it's not a big deal, but sometimes it would be nice to get in and go without the standard 20 minute warm up period. GP's are all new, as well as GPR, and all UVCH, gaskets, etc. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 02:56 PM

With weather here being under 40 for a while now and not plugged in, she fires right up with little complaint. I generally wait until the ammeter jumps up after the glow plugs shut down (never timed it but maybe 45 secs?) to take off. Just a thought, but are your batteries in good shape? If weak, I would think you'd be experiencing what you describe.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:42 PM

Thanks! Yeah, I actually just replaced the batteries in december. Its weird, it fires right up, idles fine, but runs terrible untill about 1800rpms. Once engine temp rises, it runs great! Any other ideas?
Old 04-20-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsaparilla View Post
Thanks! Yeah, I actually just replaced the batteries in december. Its weird, it fires right up, idles fine, but runs terrible untill about 1800rpms. Once engine temp rises, it runs great! Any other ideas?
Been high 30s low 40s in the am here and mine does not like to go until the temp needle atleast starts to move. I hit the gas and she hesitates goes then hesitates again. was wondering if I should plug it in at night but I'd need to hook up the plug to the block warmer lol. It was a Fl truck and I brought it to the NE. Once it warms up it runs great.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:00 PM

Hahaha, the wife delete mod! Wonder if anyones done a write up on that one yet? Thanks for your input, btw. Mine does seem to do better if I've had it plugged in, but fer cryin out loud, it's practically summer here now!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsaparilla View Post
Hahaha, the wife delete mod! Wonder if anyones done a write up on that one yet? Thanks for your input, btw. Mine does seem to do better if I've had it plugged in, but fer cryin out loud, it's practically summer here now!
Second best mod in my life . The thing that really threw me off is is i bought the truck and 2 weeks later I changed the oil... Now when I bought it I pulled the dipstick it didn't look terrible but just to be safe I changed it. The think black as night oil that came out got changed to the rotella t 15w 40 and thats when it started acting like that. I asked around and never really got a strait answer. So I am hoping it's the cold weather still. Best news I heard is a friend of mine said I should use 10w 30 till its fully summer.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:04 PM

No, you can use 15w40 year round.....how old are your injectors ? and what kind of care have they had ? has it had clean oil and clean fuel all it's life ? if not, you may have to change injectors .....may be a sticky-marginal ICP .... ? find somebody with a good scanner and hook up to it, and watch the streaming data when cold..... FPR mebbe .... IDK, but that ain't regular behavior .....

Last edited by OL' OutLaw; 04-20-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL' OutLaw View Post
No, you can use 15w40 year round.....how old are your injectors ? and what kind of care have they had ? has it had clean oil and clean fuel all it's life ? if not, you may have to change injectors .....may be a sticky-marginal ICP .... ? find somebody with a good scanner and hook up to it, and watch the streaming data when cold..... FPR mebbe .... IDK, but that ain't regular behavior .....
Thanks man, that's good info! Trucks got 210K on it. i assume the injectors are original to the truck, as everything else I've replaced has been (i.e. ball joints, shocks, clutch, etc.) I've put on about 30K of those miles on it. The engine has minimal blow by so I assume it's in reasonable condition. I just replaced the ICP not long ago which cleared up some idling problems I was having. I've rebuilt the fuel bowl and FPR and last I checked was getting around 60-70 psi at schrader valve. I'm pretty religious with changing filters and fluids, but I really have no idea what the story was before I owned it. When I drain the fuel bowl, there is no evidence of leaky injector o rings. I ran a can of seafoam in the filter bowl awhile back with no improvement. I'm really not sure how bad injectors act . I think I will try to get it scanned. Couldn't hurt.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:07 AM

that sounds bad. unplug your epbv. if you dont have power until 1800 or so that could be a problem. also how old is the oil?

do you know anyone with AE? get your IPR duty cycle etc. i wonder if your IPR is dirty or wearing out. could be injectors or weak hpop as well.

yes they dont care for the cold, but i only expirience what your describing at zero to -x*F temps.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL' OutLaw View Post
For me I changed the oil last weekend only had the truck for 3 weeks and bought from a dealership so I have no idea how it was taken care of. It was a TX truck then moved to FL and bought by a dealer in New Jersy were I bought it. The oil was real gummy and I changed the fuel filters at the same time (used motorcraft for all filters). The fuel filter on the frame had what looked like sand in it but the top bowl was clean, filter was kinda dirty. Looked like filters might be original. I cleaned out the filter housings the best I could and torqued to specs. Think I should post a thread in 6.0 threads... I just posted here cause it came up in recent when I logged in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.