5 inch exhaust question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5 inch exhaust question

I have a 1995 f350 7.3l psd. I am looking to upgrade my exhaust to reduce backpressure and also to make it sound louder. I want it to sound deep and also give a good whistle. I ran across this kit from diamond eye.....

Diamond Eye Aluminized 5" Exhaust Ford 7.3L

Its a cat and muffler delete with 3" downpipe and 5" the rest of the way. First question is are there any setbacks to cutting out the cat and muffler and running straightpipes? and second is it even worthwhile to have a 5 inch exhaust with it still bottlenecking at the downpipe? will it sound good? does anything larger than a 3" downpipe fit behind these engines in this year? thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

3 inch DP is all you need the turbo has a 3 inch outlet on it and it takes a little work to do there is a good write up on that for sure helped me...as far as the cat and muffler delete i did it and made a worlds of difference on my 95 and my buddys 01 and 5 inch exhaust to me is a little to much but no comment to that i will let someone else tackle that but thats my 2 cents
Old 04-07-2011, 12:25 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
No gain going larger than a 4" pipe...
You can get kits with a 3-4" DP..PM me if I can get you one.

Cary
Old 04-07-2011, 12:32 PM

yeah, 5" is a little overkill. A 5" tip might be ok though and would give you the same look
Old 04-08-2011, 06:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ive heard the 5 inch does nothing for performance but will it be louder than the 4"?
Old 04-08-2011, 11:24 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Yes it is...
Old 04-09-2011, 07:18 AM

Dixie,

In my own experience, I personally would only do 5" exhaust if you're gonna do stacks. I had a miserable afternoon helping my friend rehang his 5" under-truck system and getting it to be completely rub-free. There was some creative heating/bending/hammering going on and we must have taken it off the truck about 15 times that day. I told him... if it starts buzzing again... sell the truck.

One of the problems I had with my 3" DP is getting the bloody thing to clear through such a tight space between the firewall without rubbing. Right now it only gives me noise at high negative torque on the driveline, so I'm not gonna bother with it for now.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:04 AM

my 5 inch kit went in easy no problems but take it from me dont run nothin over 4 inch 5 is over kill and i dont think it was any louder then my buddies 4 inch but my kit came with a 4 inch DP into 5inch exhaust as far as gains pretty much none i actually felt i might have lost a touch the only thing i did notice is the turbo spools up a bit quicker. Im buying another 7.3 tomorrow it is only goin to get a 4inch on it. Something that helps with the sound though is a nice big tip a 4 into 6 inch tip changes the sound atleast for my buddy it did and made it sound a little deeper.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by studdgage View Post
my 5 inch kit went in easy no problems but take it from me dont run nothin over 4 inch 5 is over kill and i dont think it was any louder then my buddies 4 inch but my kit came with a 4 inch DP into 5inch exhaust as far as gains pretty much none i actually felt i might have lost a touch the only thing i did notice is the turbo spools up a bit quicker. Im buying another 7.3 tomorrow it is only goin to get a 4inch on it. Something that helps with the sound though is a nice big tip a 4 into 6 inch tip changes the sound atleast for my buddy it did and made it sound a little deeper.
What year of truck is this? A 4" DP wont fit on an OBS and for that matter if its a super duty dont even bother trying to compare its sound to an OBS. Yes 5" is overkill and has ZERO performance gain...but, a 4" system on an OBS truck will still have a little bit of the 'slapping' sound where a 5" system has a deeper, smoother sound. My opinion to the OP, put in what YOU want to put in. If its deep, smooth, turbo sound you are after, then do the 5"
Old 04-09-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman247365 View Post
What year of truck is this? A 4" DP wont fit on an OBS and for that matter if its a super duty dont even bother trying to compare its sound to an OBS. Yes 5" is overkill and has ZERO performance gain...but, a 4" system on an OBS truck will still have a little bit of the 'slapping' sound where a 5" system has a deeper, smoother sound. My opinion to the OP, put in what YOU want to put in. If its deep, smooth, turbo sound you are after, then do the 5"
Both mine and my buddies truck is a 2000 7.3 liter and the 4 inch DP went in No problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.