truck surges when cold? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 06:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
truck surges when cold?

lookin at an OBS powerstroke, the owner said it surges when its cold, i dont know what that is, maybe a turbo problem, im new with strokes, and i heard it could be the EBPV cycling, what is that? and what damage could it do if i drive it as is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2011, 04:38 AM

If not plugged in it's probably 'loping' and this is relatively normal with these old girls...the colder it is out there the more pronounced it is until it warms up a bit. I know mine sure does it but it's harmless.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:31 AM

ipr valve icp and uvch can cause that prob happened to my truck b4 easy fix though
Old 03-23-2011, 07:17 AM

could be either. but im betting on the loping. fresh oil change and or lighter weight oil in cold season may solve that. probably not injectors stiction, but if it is many use rev-x to clear that up. but thats usually more of a 6.0 thing.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:32 AM

well, can i drive it if it surges what will i experience bein the driver? never had this happen befor and im goin to test drive it tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:38 AM

any way to get a vid of the surge? be sure to do a cold start. if you start it shortly after its been running it wont surge. and wont giev you an idea how easy it starts in the cold.

yes you can drive it. its generally a good idea to let it warm up a couple minutes first. 4 or 5 minutes if its under 20* imho. take note of how long it surges.

here is an example of a cold start lope...

Old 03-23-2011, 11:16 AM

theres no way i can do the cold start, im meetin the guy halfway between my place and his. i would like to do the cold start though its always better to see the rig dead cold.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:17 AM

and thats it it should only lope for a few seconds?
Old 03-23-2011, 12:15 PM

more or less. in my opinion, ifits does it for more than 15 seconds is something you should look at. if more than a minute (which ive seen) there is a problem. it could be simple or difficult.

mine does it for about 4 seconds at -5*F, and not as bad as the vid. but every truck is different. ask him about the lope. and how long it lopes.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:43 PM

That video is a perfect example of 'loping'. The colder it is the more pronounced it is but it only lasts for under 20 seconds or so....more or less. Mine will lope for about 4 or 5 times then go into idle mode. You'll find a lot of farm tractors sound very similar when cold fired. The glow plugs are also cycling at the same time so technically, no, you shouldn't drive it until it all stops and things smooth out. You'll see the glow plugs ending their cycle on the ampmeter (or whatever it is). Give it a minute or two and you're good to go. Just don't expect to smoke the tires off it cause the ebpv may still be in it's cold cycle as well if it's still operational and hasn't been disconnected.

You will not experience any loping if the truck's been running already as it will be when he meets you half way. If it is, turn around and drive home unless he's giving it away. These bad boys can get really expensive in a hurry if you don't know what you're messing around with. Fortunately for you though, the dOOOOOOds at this forum are really good and know the ins and outs; way more than I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.