DP to Turbo Clamp Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DP to Turbo Clamp Help

I finally found a guy with experience to help me install a 3" DP. I have all the parts I need except he says that we will probably destroy the existing clamp that connects the DP to the turbo. And I can't find one. I've read everything on this site about installing a DP, but I don't think anyone has ever mentioned that clamp. He called it a V clamp and said that there are various widths out there and its real important to get the right size. (Makes sense) The Ford dealer didn't see anything in his book on different widths. I've looked on various sites that sell DPs but don't see any clamps. What can you all tell me about this clamp? Did you all have to replace the clamp and if so where did you get it? I have a 94 1/2 7.3L
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm not sure how you could ruin the clamp. Its pretty straight forward and I had no problems with mine. She came unclamped fine and did take a little persuasion to get off the dp, but once it was off and the other was back on, she went back on just fine

Might try it before you spend money on one. If worse comes to worse...salvage yard.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the help, Jared. I was thinking the same thing just looking at it. But I've never done it before, so didn't want to argue with the guy who is willing to help me and has done it before. Speaking of salvage yards, I see you are from Kansas. Know of any good salvage yards for OBS PSDs in the KC area?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The original one can be re-used but the only problem is the bolt sometimes doesn't come off clean.I sprayed it up a few times before I did the downpipe and it came right off.Try that first.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:24 AM

Take an extra day or two and repeatedly spray that clamp head with PB Blaster or some other handy spray like that. Some guys like to pull the bull in the china shop routine with things and it doesn't always work out in your favor. Best of luck with your changeover. Maybe post some pics of it all if you can.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:45 AM

Napa has them as well, pry won't have them on hand but they are about $35-40 for them. When i changed my DP i just pryed it up and off, it just kinda popped and was able to reuse it...just be careful not to over tighten and either strip the nut or break the bolt, have trashed 2 of these V clamps on a buddy's exhaust brake
Old 03-12-2011, 11:11 PM

Any Auto Parts Store can get them. It is a 3 inch V Clamp. When I did my new exhaust system I replaced mine. Good thing I did. Mine was stuck on the DP and it got ruined when I took it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.