To Build, Or Buy a Reman - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 01:46 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To Build, Or Buy a Reman

OK, so @ 300797 miles, my obs is now blowing it's oil cap off, and sounds as if it's running on 7 holes. Mileage is still decent but you can tell it's down on power. It doesn't seem to smooth out till it's turning 2400 or better and it has a monstrous amount of blow by, let alone the blue smoke out of the exhaust.

So I guess it's time to face facts and start making decisions about it's replacement heart.

I can pick up a complete core for 200$ I have a set of reman heads with less than 6k on them that I can cabbage for free. I don't have an engine stand capable of holding a 7.3, nor do I have a garage to do it in.

I'm guessing 600$ish in machine work, 1200$ish in a rebuild kit. By the time I buy a decent enough stand to hold it, and all the misc stuff, even with my free heads I'm looking at the 25-2700$ range.

My other option is a Marshall reman
3yr 100k warranty, oil cooler, oil pan, timing cover installed, I just add my high pressure oil side, and fuel system, which is all new as of the last 10 months and drop it in. I can buy the Marshall from work with my discount for 2900$
I'm figuring after incidentals, tax and such, I'll be in the 3700$ range.

So my question is, what would you do, and why?

TIA

PS, I've looked high and low for a good used engine to no avail, if you know where one is, close to southeastern KY please tell!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 02:00 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

If you don't have experience rebuilding engines then I would definatly not recomend tackling a rebulid, especially if you don't have the room, tools, and proper equipment. Personally I would lean toward the rebuild due to the fact that its $1000 cheaper (acording to your calculations.)
Old 03-11-2011, 05:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i like the rebuild option, with a reputable builder. another plus is you will most likely keep your forged rods. i think most reman long blocks are PMR's these days. thats not a bad thing, just something i would prefer if it were me.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:57 PM

Looks like I'm going to fix the oil leak and keep on rolling till the engine tells me otherwise.

Finally got a chance to do some more investigation. Turbo o rings are leaking enough to shame the Valdeez.

EBPV stuck half closed, don't know if has any affect on the smoke?
Lots of play in the turbo

I have another turbo to go back on, non ebpv, of a med duty 444e

Did a compression check and all the cylinders were 300 or better, so I guess we'll just keep a rockin!
Old 03-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Time to MOD!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.