Turbo question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo question

i have a 95 7.3 tubro and i want to upgrade i have a heck of a deal from a friend but wonderin if its worth the time or even exchangable... He is gonna sell me the turbo and intake and everything off his truck i need to make the swap his is a 03 7.3 turbo

So what i want to know can i take the whole turbo setup and bolt to mine or just the turbo and swap out .....Just let me know what i need to do the complete swap if its worth the time to go to his stock turbo from my stock turbo which his does have a wicked wheel in it and what kind of peformance would i get

Im just wonderin cause im gettin a hell of a deal from him but just wanna make sure its worth the time money and effort will i see a good power change from my stock turbo thats small compared to his turbo which is alot bigger

Any info will help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 06:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

In short no its not worth the time.. search this topic itt has been discussed alot you can buy an aftermarket turbo that will bolt right on and give better numbers.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:28 AM

thanks thats what i was thinkin i could buy one and save some money and gain more
Old 03-10-2011, 09:16 AM

How good of a deal is he willing to give you? Either way, the SD turbo setup isn't much of an upgrade from what you have... a side step at best. Bean's D66 is a modded stock turbo that will drop right in and works really well in a mild build. If you plan on going big with your injectors, you'll need to look into bigger/more expensive turbo options.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:36 AM

500 bucks for the whole turbo setup and i dont want to go big with my injectors i would like to stock for as long as i can i dont care for a ton of horsepower i just wanted to upgrad my turbo from stock

My plans for the truck are exhaust, TS 6 position chip, intake upgrade (wanting to go intercooler hopefully)

My truck is a daily driver just want some upgrades nothing huge just want to have a little more HP when i need it to mess around and make her smoke some is all
Old 03-10-2011, 09:38 AM

my buddy has a 02 CC 7.3 and his turbo is stock but twice the size of mine
mine is all stock and new my motor is brand new 60k miles its a jasper tranny is brand new too
Old 03-10-2011, 10:03 AM

but im gonna look up the Bean's D66
Old 03-10-2011, 11:04 PM

That WW in your buddie's turbo is the same exact wheel that's in your turbo. Your wheel is the upgrade for the SD's. As said above the modification is a side step at best.

Adding more turbo without more fuel isn't going to do anything for your power anyway. The stock turbo seems to work pretty well for stock injectors. If you upgrade injectors is when you'll want to start looking into more turbo and the SD turbo really isn't it. The ONLY good thing about doing the swap is you can run a 38R on it but then you're limited to the 38R. If you're going to go that route you might as well look at an H2E kit from Hypermax, or maybe even one of the turbos that WOP sells.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:18 AM

ive heard the stock turbo handles stage 1 injectors pretty well. is that fairly accurate?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:37 PM

thanks for all the info im still learning some things never was big on turbos superchargers and sbc were my thing lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.