King Pin D60 Swap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 06:47 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
King Pin D60 Swap

On my 96 supercab the TTB was just about falling out, due to the lovley Maine roads. It needed all 4 ball joints 3 u joints and wheel bearings on one side. I opted to swap in a d60. i knew i didnt want to be doing ball joints again in this truck so i searched for a king pin axle. I found one out of NH for $550 with the track bar, mount, core calipers and new u bolts.It came out of a 88 F-350 with a 6.9. Before I started i swapped out the rotors for new ones and repacked the wheel bearings. I did use the 88 hubs instead of the ones out of TTB, both of the hubs interchange. When i bought the axle i cracked the cover open, one to look at the fluid and two to find out the gear ratio; which is stamped on the ring gear. You just have to divide the big number, which is the number of teeth on the ring divided by the small number, number of teeth on the pinion. It came out to 3.54 which is the same as 3.55. I did replace the tie rod ends. I didnt know if the pitman arms would work but i call ford and both the 88 F-350 and the 96 f-250 pitman arm part numbers are the same. The only real issue i had i was when using king pin d60 the calipers are different. I bought loaded remans with pads and hardwear from napa for 68 a piece. The Brake hose are different, which can be easily over come by buying new hoses or taking the 96 hose flipping it upside down, grinding the it flat and it works with the 88 calipers. All said and done it leveled the truck out but the ride is far more stiff. the swap took me about 5 hours by myself, but having access to a lift and a set of torches is a must. ill post some of the pics tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did you reuse the 250 springs? If so thats where the assitional stiffness may be coming from. When I used the 350 springs the ride got better. still stiff but not harsh anymore.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:42 AM

i reused the 250 springs but according to donvan spring the 250 and 350 spings are the same rate.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ya the rates are probably the same or close but the part numbers should be different because the 250 leafs have to resist the twisting load of the i beams.

250 springs are flat or almost reverse arch where the f350 springs are arched normally.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If you want to have the truck ride great then you need our RS-V and B code swap..best mod you can do the a OBS. PM me if I can help.

Cary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.