What a sick feeling, truck stumbling and oil not in the engine - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Transmission or Injectors

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What a sick feeling, truck stumbling and oil not in the engine

Hey Guys,

Driving home tonight pulling the sleds, nothing crazy for speed, all of a sudden, I just happen to catch the indicator light on the trailer brake controller fade out. First thought, thats odd, plug for trailer must have come undone. Then the truck stumbled a bit, and then started loosing revs (Still had foot on throttle). So I pulled to the side of the road. When I got stopped, the truck was idling LOUD, and sounded very unhealthy.

Then I looked underneath, oil pouring down , leaking all over the transmission, skid plates, everything was dripping. My first thought was transmission fluid, because thats where it was the wettest. Upon closer investigation, it was coming from the rear of the engine. I put my finger in it, and it was engine oil. Not just engine oil, the 14 litres of Amsoil 15w40 synthetic I just put in it (most money I had ever spent on engine oil).

Crawled on top of the engine, and sure enough, the valley was covered in oil, and running out the hole in the back. Then my brain starts trying to come up with what could cause an oil leak in the V. HPOP, HPoil line, IPR. I have not had this part of the engine apart, so I was floundering in uncharted territory. Of course by now its dark out, with no flashlight, trying to use my cellphone screen as a light to see any leaks.

Its now tow truck time. Call one, he tows me into town. Get to his shop, and the plan was to fill the truck back up with oil, fire it up, and see where its leaking. This would be a great idea, if we had 14 litres of 15w40 oil. We scrounged 5 litres of Co-op 10w30, 3 litres of Case IH SAE 30 oil (with the $1.00 stickers still on it from the yard sale he got them at), and 2 litres of Esso 10w40. Poured it all in, and it fired up.

Finally we noticed the leak under the ICP sender. Unthreaded it, and sure enough, the oring was split. It was also hard and brittle, but it was soft and pliable when I installed it. This is the same oring on the sender that I had to make work with a home made adapter, after getting the wrong one from an ebay purchase.

We changed the oring, and teflon taped the crap out of it, threaded it back in, and fired it up, no more leak.

I was amazed at the short time it took to empty the entire oil pan of oil, through that leak.

I made it back home (140km), with my oily strange brew in the engine. Tomorrow will be oil change day.

AND, now for the best part. I had just unloaded 2 90 litre barrels of 15w40 with only 25 hours of use on it, that had been in the back of the truck for 2 weeks.

Lesson learned, just because something is cheaper on ebay, and you can still make it work, doesnt mean its going to be cheaper in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Holy mackerel, that's a story.

Cheaper ain't better! I just bought a cheep used pump off ebay, sure enough, it's garbage.

And that's one heck of an oil mixture you drove home with. I'm also running Amsoil in my truck. It isn't cheap, I'm saving up for a 55gal drum it's more cost effective that way.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

That sucks...

And yes, the HPOS can empty your pan of oil in a remarkably quick amount of time.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:34 AM

That's proof, however, that you can dump almost anything into these engines to get out of a short term jam. Glad to hear ya got it home.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:51 AM

i think i would throw up if i seen that happen to my truck . glad it all worked out for ya .
Old 03-06-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
That's proof, however, that you can dump almost anything into these engines to get out of a short term jam. Glad to hear ya got it home.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:10 AM

Wow that sucks. Glad you got her patched back together and got home

Weird coincidence cause I was deleting old PMs earlier and came across some from you. Was wondering where you had gotten to lol.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:21 AM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
just think of that amsoil as rust proofing. gald you got it back together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.