Powertrax locker - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Powertrax locker

Has anybody used a Powertrax locker before? I know the TruTrack is a good option but a little expensive? Any ideas on what is good to run? Looking to put this in the rear. Truck is not my daily driver but does get drove on the road alot and does do some towing. Looking for a good mix between on road and off road performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have the Lock-Rite in my truck. Install is very quick and easy and the results really are worth it. Its in my daily driver, and I like it alot. its only really noticable at full lock, and its a little notchy around corners where im taking off from a stop. ( like a 90* turn from a stop sign) but I have a stick shift truck, so that probly has some to do with it too.

Its not as refined as a posi, and it is a little crude, but I dont mind it, because the performance increase is HUGE. tons of traction offroad. only time you need 4x4 is in really nasty mud.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I am slowing swapping this into a more off road capable rig since it doesn't do all that well now and I don't think the little bit of "harsh" turning on the street will bother me. What gears are you running? I have 4:10's in mine. I have heard these lockers wear out quickly? how long have you been running this?
Old 03-06-2011, 04:15 PM

I have 4.10's also. My truck used to not get through very much til I put the locker in, now Im gettin through everything and more then my buddies cherokee with lockers and 33" muds.

People say the difference is big, but I'm tellin you its HUGE. You really feel unstoppable. oh ya, and driving in the snow and wet roads is a blast. the tail end is very predictable when it breaks traction. makes you feel like a really good driver haha. i have confidence drifting around corners in 3rd and 4th gear no problem.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:27 PM

Randys ring and pinion is doing their own version of a lunchbox locker. It is supposed to be pretty good. The difference in traction is huge. It is like the first time you engaged a t-case. The biggest problem with a lunchbox locker is that they use the factory differential. I have seen people break the diff. If money was not an option I would say get a selectable locker for sure. Best of both worlds. I run ARB in my jeep front and rear. After using the air lockers I could not imagiine anything else.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thats good to hear. Most of the places we wheel at either are snow or become very slick hills in the winter and currently I always seem to be getting pulled up them by another vehicle. Im looking forward to getting it installed and seeing the difference.

I haven't ran air lockers before but have heard good things. I run full detroits in my jeep and haven't had any issues with them but with money being a factor on this build I can't spring the extra couple hundered that it would take to get one.

Definitly looking like I am going with the powertrax at this point. Thanks for the replys big help in figuring out what to run
Old 03-07-2011, 02:33 PM

You deffiently wont be dissapointed. I've had mine a few thousand miles, and have gone on a few good offroad trips with it. I look at some hillclimbs, and think theres no way I'm gonna make it....Hop skip and a jump, she's right up there.

On snowy trails, the tail end does slide side to side if you dont keep your momentum up. I have kissed a couple trees with my bedside. Just a heads up, cuz its a little sketchy first time it happened to me haha.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah part of my problem has been that my tires are worn out so I don't have the needed tread as well as open diffs. So the locker is going to be the next step then better tires. Fortunatly I have a flatbed with Sliders around it so the trees don't do much damage unless its the front of my vehicle that gets hit. The weather should start drying up out hear and for the most part the trails won't be too bad so hopefully that locker will keep me on the trails with all my buddys rigs this summer.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

lockers

Hi, i have a 95psd f-250 and a f-350 dually rear end i would like to take the locker out of the f-250 and put it in f-350 rear end,it appears that all i have to do is pull the ring gear out bolt the locker to it,almost seems too easy,but would like to do this before we rear end back into truck,thanks

Last edited by WHISKY6; 03-14-2011 at 10:06 AM. Reason: add words
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.