**Turbo upgrade** - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
**Turbo upgrade**

I have my 1997 fsuperduty and its a great truck but i want to upgrade my turbo. I have the garrett tp38 and i didnt know if there is anything i could do to it for maybe a little bit more hp or just to perform better. I know alot of you guys on here have alot of upgrades and are making a respectable amount of hp

I know hp isnt cheap im just wondering what i could do to my turbo or what other reasonably cheap upgrades there are. I would rather not put 5k into my motor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 06:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Turbo upgrades are a waste of time without exhaust work.

Are you running stock exhaust?? If so, the first item I would address is the downpipe... get a 3" in there. This won't give your truck more HP, but the turbo WILL spool up faster and give you the go-go lower on the RPM band.

Try to do this with someone who has done this work before, because you will have to bend part of the firewall and heat shield to make clearance. My truck still rumbles at negative driveline torque due to the exhaust downpipe rubbing.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:47 AM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
3" dp, at least 4" exhaust, intake and stage 1 injectors. Cost ya $1600 if you install it all yourself. Also get some kind of chip or tuner.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman247365 View Post
3" dp, at least 4" exhaust, intake and stage 1 injectors. Cost ya $1600 if you install it all yourself. Also get some kind of chip or tuner.
For the OP: I prefer my 4" stainless exhaust over Mr. Super-stacks here

I guess I just like the sound of my 4" Jardine exhaust... quiet rumble at idle, wakes up the neighborhood when I get on it. If you're not going to do stacks like our red-truck blazing friend here, don't do a 5" under the body... they are an absolute nightmare to hang and not get rub somewhere.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekfinn View Post

I guess I just like the sound of my 4" Jardine exhaust... quiet rumble at idle, wakes up the neighborhood when I get on it. If you're not going to do stacks like our red-truck blazing friend here, don't do a 5" under the body... they are an absolute nightmare to hang and not get rub somewhere.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Full A-Team Member

Quote:

Are you on crack????
Old 02-27-2011, 11:34 AM

Bwaaaaaahahahahaaaaaaa. 5" straight up thru the hood. More crack plz. Phoenix 500 race on....just wasting time during commercials....hehe.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman247365 View Post
Are you on crack????
No way... have you ever tried to fit a 5" under the truck? Stacks cure this problem. My buddy had a 5" on his 2001 SD... holy crap talk about a tight fit. We had to rehang the whole thing after the downpipe because it was rattling at several spots on the frame. I just think they're just a bit too large to fit under the truck all the way to the back bumper
Old 02-27-2011, 03:36 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Mine fits fine. Sounds like he got a poorly bent exhaust.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Full A-Team Member

Quote:
No way... have you ever tried to fit a 5" under the truck? Stacks cure this problem. My buddy had a 5" on his 2001 SD... holy crap talk about a tight fit. We had to rehang the whole thing after the downpipe because it was rattling at several spots on the frame. I just think they're just a bit too large to fit under the truck all the way to the back bumper
OK I am going to TRY to be as nice as I can, and since everyone who has read this thread sees that maybe you should read what I wrote to the OP. I told him to put on at least a 4" system NOT the 5" that you are insisting that I said. AND I NEVER said to put stacks on his truck. If you are jealous of my 500,000 mile truck that looks good, dump over $11,000 into yours and maybe it will be as nice as mine. I will stop with that before I get banned for your idiocy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.