Originally Posted by flippincgfighter
My transmission in my 97 Powerstroke is on its way out, and i found one on craigslist that is for sale for 200 bucks. It is also out of a 97 Powerstoke and he said it was rebuilt 2 years ago. I want to buy this one, tear it apart and rebuild it so my pickup is not down when mine goes out. Will all 97 E4oDs interchange? Also he said the pickup was wrecked, and the rear bellhousing where it attatches to the transfer case is cracked, but it is removable and could be replaced with the one off my trani? I didnt realize there was any sort of a bell housing on the rear of the trans? Any insight? Good gamble or not worth the money?
I can't answer the compatibility question but if seller claims it has been rebuilt why not ask if he will guarantee that it works, swap it in immediately then take your time rebuilding your existing tranny that you know is on it's way out. I'd do it his way b/c:
- you'll probably know a lot by sellers reaction to question about guaranteeing that it works and hopefully avoid getting screwed
- you'll have more time to do your rebuild
- theoretically lessen chance of getting stuck somewhere if/when your existing tranny fails
- eventually have stock/matching tranny back in your truck
- once you are done rebuilding yours you can sell the one you are about to buy now and be able to show potential buyers that it is working before you pull it and before they buy it
Obvious downside is having to pull a tranny twice.