New to the diesel world and i have a 7.3L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to the diesel world and i have a 7.3L

i have bought a 1997 ford f-250 7.3L powerstroke with 300k almost a year ago it runs like a champ and has pulled anything i hooked up to it. This is my first Ford and my first diesel it is hard to start when cold unless i have it plugged in over night so i suspect the glow plugs are old and not working. i have never worked on a diesel before, i know the ins and outs of a chevy gas engine. i have tons of questions which i am sure i will figure out as i go along. but is it worth doing mods to a 300k motor,should i refresh the top end like lifters and push rods and injector seals and glow plugs. i'm the kind of guy who can't leave stuff stock if i can't modify it i don't want it. let me know your input. i have read a lot of your inputs and you all seem very helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

your in the right place for mod addictions!

here is my opinion on modding at 300k+. get a compression test, a great time to do this is during the glow replacement. also check your trubo for compressor fin damage and shaft play.

after that, if compression checks good, then you are generally good to go modding. do the DIY 6637 intake upgrade and exhaust, get rid of that flat down pipe if you havent alerady. then pick up a set of gauges and a chip. by the time your done with all that youll have read enough to know what to do if you want more power.

IMHO these are less complicated than gassers. once you get to know them that is.

glows - there is a writeup in the 99-03 section (a sticky) that walks your through testing the glows. they install like spark plugs under the valve covers, use only motorcraft ZD-11 plugs, and a tip; remove the little black box on the passenger side by the valve cover, it helps you get to the rear vc bolts. also, a peice of rubber fuel hose to unscrew them after you break them loose helps a ton. most socket walls are too think and get stuck under the rocker, so you have to screw them back in a few turns to get the socket back out.

also check or replace your glow plug relay. stancor 986-502 i believe is the part number, its an upgrade from stock.

Last edited by ridiculously_necessary; 02-22-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

- Glad to have you!!!

ridiculously necessary covered the other stuff - Good luck!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the info time for me to get my hands dirty
Old 02-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any advise for the saggin front end i was thinking of add a leafs for a cheap way to lift the front what you guys think
Old 03-10-2011, 05:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

UPDATE so i have cleared out my cat on the truck and i now get upto 20 psi of boost under full throttle which before the max i could get was 11 psi. i have read about the fuel regulator bb mod. i checked the fuel pressure before i started that mod and i have 75psi at idle and goes upto 90psi at 3,000 rpm so i figured that is good. i just did the diy 6637 intake WOW I LOVE THAT I CAN HEAR MY TURBO NOW. my next plan is to upgrade the down pipe and add 4" exhaust. i have a question now that i have boost around 20 psi after i let off the pedal from 20psi i can smell something like it got real hot not sure if its just burning off the grime in the down pipe from the years of buildup or if i an doing damage to the turbo. i only keep it at 20 psi for 10 to 20 seconds. no black smoke yet either which i guess is good but visually disappointing he he. i did check my compressor fins no damage and there is no play. i do notice i can hear the turbo spooling up but it doesn't start creating boost until i hit 2k is this normal??
Old 03-10-2011, 07:03 AM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
All mods in my sig were done at 400,000+ miles, the truck runs better now than most that I have heard. It is now reaching 450K and yes I have had some problems but I have come to expect them from a truck with this many miles on it. I take very good care of mine and would drive it anywhere, and I do. Most of the miles I put on are towing a trailer, usually grossing 12-14k and it loves every minute of it. Dont be afraid to mod your truck, as long as you take care of it, it will take care of you. If you drive it like a 18 yo that got his first sports car, it will let you down =)
Old 03-10-2011, 07:08 AM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97PSDHAULER View Post
Any advise for the saggin front end i was thinking of add a leafs for a cheap way to lift the front what you guys think
Find a D60 front end and swap it out, get rid of the TTB right away, you will love your beast even more, can be slightly expensive but IMO it is the best mod that can be done to a f250.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:40 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Old 03-10-2011, 08:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ya i have been looking for a dana 60 on craigslist i've been wanting to get rid of that weak 1/2 ton front end lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.