OBS fuel bowl delete questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lightbulb OBS fuel bowl delete questions

Well, Im tired of chasing the leaks in my fuel bowl, and I want to delete it. A new one with the FPR is 400 and up best I can find. Plus, I can never seem to get any cap to seal correctly on the FB, and It's a hassle I dont want anymore. My truck always reeks of diesel, and I've tried just about everything to fix it.

I do not wish to upgrade to a SD electric pump at this time, nor is the 100+ extra dollars in my budget right now at all. I have an idea on how to do it, I was just hoping for some input.

My plan is to plumb a water seperator and 2 micron filter utilizing the same flow pattern as the stock setup, coming off the low pressure side of the mechanical pump, through the filters, and then back to the high pressure side of the pump. somewhere in there i'd have a pressure regulator as deleting the bowl also deletes the FPR. Im just not sure how the fuel flows through the stock setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've looked and looked for a conversion without electric pumps, i just cant find one. Plus, doing this way will allow me to upgrade to a SD pump in the future when I can afford it. I think I can do the filters and regulator for around 200 bucks. Any thoughts???? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 10:01 AM

I have no idea Ian but I wanna know if this goes anywhere. Subscribed
Old 02-22-2011, 10:08 AM

I hate being broke and having a problem that I cant solve for cheap......My truck is DOA right now. But, I fixed my battery cable situation so i'll fix this one too for alot less than 400 bucks.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:12 AM

How come it's dead? The fuel issue??
Old 02-22-2011, 10:22 AM

yeah, yesterday she was hard starting and I looked at my under hood gauge, 15 PSI..uh oh . Pulled filter, full of crap and rust, FPR full of crap and rust, screen full, the filter screen element in in the mini water filter looking thing on the FPR was completely shredded, and I'm afraid to put it all back together with it like that. plus, the FB has a hairline crack that hasnt gone through..YET. and, like i said, i cant get a cap to seal to the darn thing to save my life(ive even tried an OEM cap off another truck), so my truck weeps diesel constantly.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:30 AM

Yeah mines leaking at the pump. Got a new one waiting to go in.

If your gear was all full of rust...what are your tanks like? Sounds like maybe your fuel issues run deeper than just a cracked bowl.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:34 AM

oh def gonna pull both tanks and clean them and backflush the lines. I have no doubt that the chevron I get my fuel from has gone downhill since they changed owners. and I guess the previous owner of the truck had unplugged the restriction sensor, and I had no idea.......
Old 02-22-2011, 10:41 AM

Best I can tell, the OBS fuel system is a regulated return system already, unlike the deadhead on a SD truck. Is this correct?

It also appears the OEM filter only filters to 10-15 microns, at least the wix filter does for the OEM application. So going to 10 would be ok.....i think lol. My head hurts

Last edited by ianstew; 02-22-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:45 AM
The Tamed Racing Driver

I was looking at these at TSC.

Fuel Filter With Metal Can - 3958383 | Tractor Supply Company

I like this one cause its clear and you can see if its getting cloged, but its only 15 microns, IDK how much filtering capacity you want?

Goldenrod, Water-Block Fuel Filter 496 With Water Absorbing - 0189529 | Tractor Supply Company
Old 02-22-2011, 10:54 AM

OEM specs are fine with me......10 microns as final filtration should be good. I was looking at the same thing you were, except at northern tool. TSC is cheaper actually on the fuel filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.