Washing under the hood? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 06:58 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Washing under the hood?

I have a 96 F-250 7.3L PS and I would like to clean the engine and everything else under the hood. I use to do this with my older vehicles but with the newer electronics and such, I've heard some horror stories where it wound up costing some folks a lot of money because something went out due to water damage. Needless to say, I haven't washed an engine in many years but I'm thinking there's less to worry about on the diesel motor. I'm wondering if this is as much a concern with my truck as I've heard with others. If anybody has washed their engine, I was wondering what I would need to be carefull of and/or wrap in plastic. Some of the carwashes around here have the engine degreaser setting so that's most likely what I'll use for soap. Any sugggestions or feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2011, 07:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have done mine a couple times, I just use walmart bags and cover the alt, and fuse area. I wouldn't use a high pressure system like at the car wash area though, but thats just me. I mostly use engine degreaser and scrubbing bubbles with the hose.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i washed mine yesterday, i have done it more than a couple time i just pull of the top plastic motor cover and go at it. i use my pressure washer and do everything the top sides bottom and it comes out really clean. i had a small diesel leak at the fuel filter i didnt notice till i cleaned it. but pressure washer dose it perfect with out soap or chemicals. If worst comes to worst and you some how get an electrical connection wet just spray some wd40 in it and it draws out the moisture.....Hope this helps
Old 02-19-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97f450 View Post
i had a small diesel leak at the fuel filter i didnt notice till i cleaned it.
The main reason I want to wash it is because I can smell some diesel at certain times and I think it should be easier to find the leak once it's clean.

Thanks for everyone's replies!
Old 02-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Premium Member

i wouldnt worry too much, avoid the air filter if you have an open element and make sure the drain hole in the back of the engine valley isnt plugged with gunk before you spray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.