97 F350 farm truck R&R - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 06:08 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 F350 farm truck R&R

I've known the front end was sagging since I bought it back in September, but I put that on the backburner while I took care of a few more pressing issues.
I'm getting ready to throw some new shoes on it, so I figured it was time to take care of the front end sag so I could try to fit a little bit bigger tire on it if possible.

First off, I have a pretty big bumper on the front with a big ole hydraulic winch in it. I don't know how heavy the combo is, but I know it's more than a factory bumper.
I'm sure that having all that weight cantilevered out front for the last 14 years has put a little extra strain on the front suspension.

Here's the truck in profile. You can really see how much higher the rear is than the nose.

Here's the door sticker on my truck. I don't know if it will give any info, but it's worth a shot.

My questions:
Whats a good way to get the nose back up a little without doing a lift?
Can I put the front springs from a heavier truck (ie F-Superduty)? Will that make a difference in height or will it help at all?

Here are a few more pictures.

I have more pictures. If there is anything specific that anyone wants to see, just ask.

Thanks,
Adam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Am I seeing things or is that diagonal bar on the front end severely bent? If it is that can't be good. I stuck a 9-1/2' V-plow on the front of my F250 and it caused me to redo the front springs to level it...it works and makes a big difference. Some of the 4x4 fellas on here will be able to help you out with the right approach.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Id look into getting something like a 2 inch lift spring for the front. That bumper is killing it on top of having a 1000lbs motor on them as well. Idk if you know this or not but someone converted your truck to dually. Its supposed to be a SRW truck. Not that it matters but still some info.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
Am I seeing things or is that diagonal bar on the front end severely bent? If it is that can't be good. I stuck a 9-1/2' V-plow on the front of my F250 and it caused me to redo the front springs to level it...it works and makes a big difference. Some of the 4x4 fellas on here will be able to help you out with the right approach.
Yeah, the drag link is bent. It's on the to-do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck15 View Post
Id look into getting something like a 2 inch lift spring for the front. That bumper is killing it on top of having a 1000lbs motor on them as well. Idk if you know this or not but someone converted your truck to dually. Its supposed to be a SRW truck. Not that it matters but still some info.
Yeah, There's a lot of extra weight on the front. Do you know if any of the aftermarket suspension folks sell only the front springs?

Aside from the front having non-dually wheels/hubs, is there any way to verify if it was originally srw or drw? I'm going to keep it drw, so as far as that goes, it doesn't really matter. Just curious.
Originally, I was going to replace the front rotors with the correct drw width parts, but I'm thinking about leaving it alone and running a wider srw type wheel up front.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Well the GVWR is the same as my SRW 350 thats the same cab/bed as yours. usually DRW means heavier GVWR.

Check out suspensionconnection.com they sell individual springs at varying lift heights
Old 02-17-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Well the GVWR is the same as my SRW 350 thats the same cab/bed as yours. usually DRW means heavier GVWR.
Anybody know what the GVWR would be on an a factory built drw regular cab/chassis truck?

Quote:
Check out suspensionconnection.com they sell individual springs at varying lift heights
I checked that site out. I wonder why 4" lift springs are cheaper than 2".
2" - $599.36 Ford Leaf Springs - Ford 1986-97 F350 4wd - 2" EZ-Ride front leaf springs (pair)
4" - $381.56 Ford Leaf Springs - Ford 1980-97 F350 4wd - 4" EZ-Ride front leaf springs (pair)
Old 02-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

try searching the part number now for the 2" springs, might find a deal

no clue on the GVWR, could you get a chassis cab 350? thought that was only a super duty (450) thing
Old 02-17-2011, 09:34 AM

I'll keep looking for the springs.

Here's my VIN info: 1FDHF36FXVEA30434

World Manufacturer Identifier - 1st, 2nd, 3rd Positions:
Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company, USA
Make: Ford
Vehicle Type: Incomplete Vehicle

Brake Type and GVWR Class - 4th Position:
Brake System: Hydraulic brake system, Class G, GVWR 8,501-9,000 pounds, None

Line Series, Chassis Type, Body Type - 5th, 6th, 7th Positions:
Line Series: F-Series - F350
Chassis Type: 4x4
Body Type: Pickup - Regular Cab

Engine Type - 8th Position:
Engine: 7.3(445cid) DI-Turbo
Cylinders: V-8
Fuel Type: Diesel
Horse Power: TBD

Model Year - 10th Position:
Model Year: 1997

Assembly Plant - 11th Position:
Assembly Plant: Kentucky Truck: Jefferson County, Kentucky

Production Sequence Number - 12th - 17th:
Sequence Number: A30434
Old 02-18-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
Am I seeing things or is that diagonal bar on the front end severely bent? If it is that can't be good.
New center steering link (drag link) ordered.

Quote:
So I was doing some thinking last night. I'm finding 4" suspension lifts (front and rear) all over the place for cheap (less that or equal to the price of the front 2" lift springs). If I lifted the truck 4" front and rear, What size tires would I be able to clear? How would that affect the driveability/usability of the truck?

The only thing I'm thinking is that I may still have a lower nose because of the bumper/winch.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Well what you could do is do a hybrid lift in a way. lift it 4 up front and say 2 in the rear or 3 depending on what makes it level. Also try looking into Sky manufacturing for their RSK kit, its a 3 inch lift and it makes them ride better to an extent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.