New Member. Just bought a 97' CC SB. A couple questions. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 04:44 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Member. Just bought a 97' CC SB. A couple questions.

First diesel. Just bought a 97' with 160K miles, Edge tuner, mostly stock from what I can tell. Wheel bearings, upper and lower ball joints, and water pump were all replaced withing the last 6 months. Tranny rebuilt 1 yr ago with another 2 yrs on transferrable warranty. Tranny cooler added with temp gauge. Checked blades on turbo and they look clean. Metal bolts on air filter, not plastic. Block heater, 4.10 gears. 2 yr old tall cap on bed with 2 yr old Meyers quick release plow. (Only used for his driveway and parking lot of his office. Looks brand new.) I really love this truck so far. I have read about the last 10 pages of posts and researched the Egde tuner a bit.

Questions:I have heard the Edge tuner is not good for your tranny. Should I take it off and put on a DP tuner or leave it since it is already there? I see down pipes are a very popular mod as well as eliminating the cat and muffler. Does this make a noticeable difference? I am not interested in making this a "performance" truck or making it louder. Just want to keep it reliable and set up in the best way to tow my 12,000lb boat.

Great site and I hope to be able to contribute once I learn more about this rig.

Mac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 05:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Edge is a less preferred device. it is not friendly with the tranny, but with a cooler and gauge its better. Some edges can take new programming from tuners, so you may look into that. i usually hear the DP and other custom tunes yeild better performance and better towing, but i ahve no expirience with them myself, so i cant say what kind of difference you would see.

yes, upgrade your intake an exhaust. most say they feel a difference. espicailly of you can that cobra shaped DP.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:33 AM

Matt,
Thanks for the reply. I will check with Edge on re-programming it. What would be a recommended site for the exhaust and intake modification parts?

Thanks,
Mac
Old 02-16-2011, 08:36 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I like using XDP for my stuff, they never did me wrong. Look them up on here they have a vendor forum. you can ask a few places about prices and whatnot. if your looking to buy both at once maybe a package deal
Old 02-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

There are couple vendors here that have package deals, witha tuner i would reccomnd a Pyro gauge minimum. CT Performance has stuff. He may chime in soon anyway.

for intake, hit fleetfilters - i think. they have the 6637 DIY filter for about $35. they are about $60 local (here anyway). you will need a 4" pvc pipe and some clamps. if oyu have the tools wour looking at about $40 or so for the intake upgrade. beans or someplaces has the full kit for about $70 i think.

on the cheap, get the DP about $90 or so, then find the local muffler shop and straight pipe the truck, some places will do it fro $60 or so. it all depends on the shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.