Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Can I remove the HPOP without removing the reservoir?

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  chvyrkr 
#1 ·
I am starting some upgrades on my 1996 Powerstroke and I think I've hit a snag. I am ordering stage 1 injectors so I was going to swap out my HPOP for a 17*. When I went to remove the reservoir I noticed one of the 10mm bolts on top had some rounded edges. I don't think I can remove it without stripping it. :eek:hnoes:
Can I change the HPOP without removing the reservoir and if so it is a major PITA? I am a novice mechanic at best but I'm willing to take the time necessary.

HELP??:dunno:

#8 ·
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. I have sprayed the bolt in question with PB Blaster a few times and have let it sit for a couple of days. Maybe that will help enough so it won't strip. If these were only supposed to be torqued to 14 lbs I must have a different idea as to what 14 lbs is. The other 10mm bolts were pretty darn tight.

Any way to know if the gear is "lost" or not sitting right without removing the reservoir?

#10 ·
It would be hard to "lose" the gear when I do it i just remove the fuel filter housing, the HPOP lines, the front inspection plate, the 18mm bolt and washer, and the 2 mounting bolts. Then pull the pump out.

#11 ·
It is impossible to "lose" the gear, it's captured and can't go anywhere. You should use care when pulling the bolt out, and make sure not to drop it or the spacer/washer, although my spacer slipped off, it didn't go anywhere and I just picked it up with a magnet.

Pull the fuel bowl, the inspection cover, the retaining bolt for the drive gear, the 2 10mm mounting bolts in the back, and remove the pump.
It's really that easy!

#13 ·
As has been said, you won't loose the gear. There isn't enough space between the cam gear and the front cover for the HPOP gear to fall down.

Also, as has been said, ensuring that the gear is properly seated is best accomplished by removing the HPOP res. It's possible to bind the HPOP gear against the cam gear, thanks to the angle cut gearing, and achieve the 90 ft lbs of TQ without actually having the HPOP gear seated against the snout of the HPOP. Which will result in a no start.

If it were me, I'd find another bolt to replace that on with, and do whatever I had to do to remove it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.