Cutt off muffler, get rid of cat, or both? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 07:14 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cutt off muffler, get rid of cat, or both?

I want to change my stock exhaust to a side exit before the rear tire. I obviously have to cut my muffler off then work with an L-pipe. Should I also straight pipe my cat or take that off as well? (No diesel emissions tests in my county)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2011, 07:17 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

If you don't have emissions or inspections get that cat off of there! IMO. My '96 ran much better after I straight-piped it.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:25 PM

how loud it it to be honest? did you notice a change in power and how would it drive it I first cut my muffler off and did the side exit? (I'd gut my cat later on)
Old 02-13-2011, 07:30 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

It's not too terribly loud IMO, only change I noticed in cab under normal driving was more whistle, not much more engine rumble. Now when I wind her up it's a different story!

I can't say about the side dump, but I can say cutting my muffler off did basically jack squat. I still couldn't hear the turbo or the engine rumble, it wasn't any louder, and it didn't get any better MPG. Now when the cat came off it whistles like nobodys business, rumbles nicely, and I even gained a little gas mileage.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:52 PM

i dont have a cat or muffler or an exaust for the matter but i went have a mean rumble and my turbo wistles so good and my fuel milege went up.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I don't really have an exhaust either, unless you call a downpipe plus another foot of pipe an exhaust. If your going to make your exhaust, then leaving the cat would be a waste. Cut off that cat, and get a 3" downpipe. My truck runs like crap, and sounds like crap for that matter(bad injectors), but it has a crazy whistle and i gained some power. Not sure on fuel economy since i haven't exactly taken it easy since, but i'd say there is a little gain.

But when we ran a 3" DP, 4" back to a 45, then 5" to a 6" tip in front of the rear wheel on my brothers OBS it had a bad drone to it. So after a year or two he ran it out the back to the stock location. It also helped to keep his bed and rims clean.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:52 PM

well for right now im keeping ym stock downpipe(money) and ill be removing my cat and configuring a side dump exit in front of the rear. if heard different things saying how that setup is way loud or it sounds pretty decent. I guess ill find out
Old 02-14-2011, 07:57 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

Well once you have like $150 layin around get yourself a nice downpipe, very well worth the money
Old 02-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd look around for used downpipes. I picked mine for for around $50(it was part of a package from a buddy). It got cracked on the male part when they removed it, but my buddy TIG'ed the crack for me. We couldn't get the bottom of the weld cleaned up enough for the female end to fit, so i ended up making another cut. Then we threw a stainless band clamp over it, and called it good.

I should have $100-150 total in my exhaust when its all said and done. Just look around and see if you can get some good deals.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:50 AM

I would not turn it out in front of the wheel though, the heat from the exhaust will not sit well with your tire. Remember the style change in the F150 and Ford had to change the exhaust to exit behind the rear wheel? My grandfather had one of em and the wheel that got put on the right rear looked like crap washed or not after the exhaust got through with it. just sayin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.