Changing power steering pump - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Changing power steering pump

How do you get the pulley off the PS pump? Need to change out my pump since I am getting the truck painted, want to clean up some of the leaks I have. Any info to make pulling that pulley easier would be GREAT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2011, 03:02 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i have used a gear puller in the past, but never changed one on a psd before. a little off topice buy i noticed in your mod you are listing a SD IDM. What benifit does that bring to an OBS?
Old 02-11-2011, 05:14 AM
Full A-Team Member

The same as your modded IDM, except the SD one is 120v and modded ones are 140v, the original I took out was 100v. I got the SD IDM for a screaming deal on e-bucket and now I can get my original modded to 140v then it will go back in my truck and my spare will be a 120v
Old 02-11-2011, 05:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
did you notice and difference with the new IDM alone?

I know you can get upgraded PS Pumps, the OBS one has too much plastic. Bill at powerstrokehelp points a model number out. or you can just reseal yours if your having trouble i guess. i havent done the PS Pump but the vac pump i did and had to use a pulley/gear puller. auto parts store rents them out. I went to advanced, sinc ei bought he part there and had the old part with me they let me use their bench and vice.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:37 AM
Full A-Team Member

I havent driven it yet, only fired it up to make sure the idm worked. can the ps pump be pulled out with the pulley still on? that would make life lots easier. when I changed my vac pump, the new one had the pulley on it
Old 02-11-2011, 12:34 PM

You will need a power steering pulley puller/installer. If you look at the pulley you should see a hub with a lip around the center bore where the PSP shaft fits into. The tool is basically a threaded rod with a two piece collar that clamps around the center hub of the pulley. The tool is made for 2 different sizes and you will need to try it with both to see which one fits the hub on your pulley. If you have an Autozone close by, you can rent it at no charge with only leaving a deposit for the value of the tool which they will refund once you bring it back. If you want to purchase one, they only cost about $30.00. Don't try to use anything but this tool because the pulley is not made of very heavy metal and will bend if you try to use a regular pulley puller. You should have just enough room to get the puller between the PS pump and the fan shroud to pull it off.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Full A-Team Member

Yes very much, thanks. I thought the pullers cost more than that, I am going to get one so I have it on hand. Looks like I will only have $100 tied up in it even buying a puller.

MATT.......
Love it with the new IDM, cant wait till I get the other one modded to 140v.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

before you put the pulley back on use the bolt and a ratchet to bleed the air out
Old 02-11-2011, 02:58 PM

you can buy the puller installer for about 25 bucks.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8razor View Post
You should have just enough room to get the puller between the PS pump and the fan shroud to pull it off.

Hope this helps.
why would you pull the pulley before you take the PS pump out. that is crazy. much easier after the PS pump is out of the truck and on a bench. IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.