I've got a couple questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Clouse2411 Send a message via Yahoo to Clouse2411
I've got a couple questions

So instead numerious threads, I figured I would post them all in one. Not really a specific topic, just a bunch of questions that have been going through my head.

1. Is there a way to correct my speedo? I'm running 35's now and would really like to find out my true mileage. I know there are boxes, like superlift that will do it. But is there anyway cheaper?

2. I've been having trouble starting my truck in the cold. It cranks and everything just fine. The check engine like comes on sometimes and then its done for. I understand it isn't getting enough voltage to fire the injectors. Is it time for new batteries?

3. Also what truck do this intake spyder come off of? I need something to fit my 3in plenums I'm putting on when I do my intercooler.

4. I recently got a different set of gauges and my most gauge flutters around alot. Is it a boost leak in the gauge line or what?

If I think of anymore I'll just post them here.

Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails
I've got a couple questions-cac.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 08:47 PM

spyder comes off the early 99 trucks can find them on ebay
Old 02-11-2011, 05:43 PM

[QUOTE=Clouse2411;2345643]2. I've been having trouble starting my truck in the cold. It cranks and everything just fine. The check engine like comes on sometimes and then its done for. I understand it isn't getting enough voltage to fire the injectors. Is it time for new batteries?QUOTE]

With the exception of the above question, Iím afraid I canít help you with any of the others. First thing I want to tell you is Iím not a professional mechanic so all I can do is tell you my experience with my 96 F-250 turbo diesel. When you say youíre having trouble starting the truck while itís cold, I assume you are using the block heater, correct? If you are using it, is this when it still gives you trouble. I live in the South and if I donít plug mine up and the temperature gets below the mid 40ís, it will take me several times of heating the glow plugs before it will start. The colder it gets the more times it takes. However, this past fall I was having an issue where mine was turning over quite a few times before it would crank. I asked a mechanic friend of mine about it and he said to change the fuel filter. I kind of thought he was nuts and told him I didnít think that would do any good but Iíll be darned if it didnít do the trick.

You made the comment about not having enough voltage to fire the injectors. Since I donít know the extent of your knowledge of diesel engines, please forgive me as Iím not trying to be smug but, I just donít know if you know the following. Unlike a gasoline engine that needs fire, fuel, air and compression to start, a diesel only needs fuel, air and compression. A diesel engine doesnít start with so called ďfireĒ to the injectors as it sounds like you are saying. The only thing igniting the fuel is the compression of the fuel itís self. You do, however, have glow plugs that help heat up the fuel as it enters the cylinder. Thatís what the ďWait to startĒ light is for. If your batteries are weak and itís not turning over fast enough this will keep the fuel from igniting and the engine from starting. Just recently, my batteries were getting bad and even though it would turn over with the engine warm, it still wouldnít start. 2 batteries and $230.00 later, it starts fine.

Hope this helps
Old 02-11-2011, 06:12 PM

glow plugs heat the air not the fuel, you can check for power on the gp relay and make sure it is working, i think you can ohm test the glow plugs too to make sure they work as well...i was having problems starting last summer and it was the starter may wanna look into that as well
Old 02-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Also, the motor needs to turn over fast enough to 'fire' the injectors. what I mean by that is it needs enough high pressure oil for the injectors to work
Old 02-12-2011, 09:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to Clouse2411 Send a message via Yahoo to Clouse2411
The motor doesnt sound to crank any slower than when it does with the check engine light on or off. Yes I do plug it in every night when I'm home and it usually starts right up. I let the gloiw plugs cycle a few times when it is cold and not plugged it. What would cause it to throw the check engine light and not start? What I've heard is the IDM has to have the voltage that it needs and when it doesn't, it throws a check engine light. Which I think that is what it's doing.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:23 AM

Plugged in at 40 degrees????? WTF. Up here I plug mine in when it drops under 25. At 40 it fires up instantly every time. I do have new batteries and known good GPR and GP's as well as a new alternator so can't tell you which is the culprit in your case but I'm sure the fellas here will help you find it. G/L
Old 02-12-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
Plugged in at 40 degrees????? WTF. Up here I plug mine in when it drops under 25. At 40 it fires up instantly every time. I do have new batteries and known good GPR and GP's as well as a new alternator so can't tell you which is the culprit in your case but I'm sure the fellas here will help you find it. G/L

Well excuse me!!! I'm sorry mine doesn't fire up as good as yours!
Old 02-12-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8razor View Post
Well excuse me!!! I'm sorry mine doesn't fire up as good as yours!
I dont think he was being smart, he was just letting you know that you shouldnt have to plug it in at 40 deg... Im still trying to figure out why you fired back... Might be WTF but sometimes that just how others talk but i dont think it was in anyway putting your truck down
Old 02-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
To be honest, if it dont start at 40* there is something wrong in the glow plug system, possibly even deeper. I have 1 year old stage 1 reman injectors, 2 year old stancor relay, and 1 year old motorcraft glow plugs and there is anywhere from 250,000 miles on my engine to 450,000, there is 450,000 on the truck. It will start down to -10* not plugged in, I havent had it plugged in for more than 1 hour this winter and we just got done with 3 days in a row at -20* or lower. I dont even think about plugging it in if its above -10*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.