Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Lets talk starters.

807 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  ford diesel 
#1 ·
Hello everyone.... Well we have had another cold blast and truck doing same thing again. I kept it plugged in all night (temps 2 deg) It did that hiss thing like the engine is looked up. I let the glow plugs cycle about 3x or about 6-7min without trying to start. And when I tried to start it, it made that hiss or grid like it is looked up and is not even turning over. I keep trying about 8x and it finally breaks lose and starts rite up. Could it be my starter not engauging, Because it sounds like the starter is spining but not the crankshaft. But when it catchs if all cranks normal and fires rite up.
Can a started be cold natured or not work rite in the cold. It is about 5 yrs old and I bought it from autozone. I don't know whats going on as this is first yr its ever done this. I had a problem about 5 yrs ago with it hard to start in cold, but it was glow plug and wiring harness problem. It would just spin motor till batteries went down. This is totally different. Motor doesn't spin at all. Until it like catches the fly wheel and spinns the motor...

Thanks Chris

#3 ·
mine makes that hissing sound once in a blue moon. I just figured that I have a few teeth missing on the fly wheel, because if I rock the vehicle or let it drift it will start the next time or sometimes just be fine the next time I turn the key.

#4 ·
Well my blue moon is every morning its 35 and below. I talk to the 7.3 mech at ford house. And he said it sounds like the starter to him. Something about the armatcher acting up when it gets very cold. Im not sure if he's right but sounds good????He did say something about the flywheel, but the chances of it doing it evrytime was slim.
Thanks for help........Chris

#5 ·
I had this happen on my old 7.3 IDI. I used to keep a wrench in my truck to turn the crank to a spot were the gears on the fly wheel where still good. I believe you may be correct in thinking the teeth on the fly wheel are missing. I marked my Crank pulley and found that the motor stopped turning in the same place about 8 of every 10 times. over time 3-4 months it will tear them all up. the good new is you don't have to replace the flywheel, the bad new is the trans has to be dropped to fix it. the gear ring on the fly wheel is pressed on. Drop the tranny, remove the flywheel. Don't remember for sure but i think i tapped the gear off with a hammer and chisel, or maybe i cut it with a grinder, not sure. you can buy the gear ring at the auto parts store, O' riellys had mine in stock.
it about 60 bucks. I did not have access to a press ( it was a sunday) so I used about 12 C clamps. Lubed up the flywheel and started cranking on the clamps. I would clamp it as far as i could then tap the ring with a hammer. let it sit for 10-15 minutes and start turning the clamps again. took about 3 hours but once it i got a small section seated the rest up it went down quick. It will bend a and get distorted but once you get a 3-5 inch section seated it will tap right into place. Good luck to you.

#7 ·
i had asimilar issue with a gasser i had, teeth in the fly were mising. could also be your starter thoguh.

if you do replace the start go with that DB Electrical one, i have one and love it.

#8 ·
Question, how is the DB better? It has a 1 year warrenty? I got the one from the Local auto parts with a lifetime warrenty. sure it cost 160 bucks but iwill never pay for another starter. Yes i have replace it 4 times in 10 years but only paid once. I guess it is personal preference.

#9 ·
i have had it almost a year and love it. so i cant say for its longevity yet, but it spins crazy fast. really helped cold starts too. and it got me through some issues last summer and held up to a ton of cranking.

but mainly i like how beefy it is compared to stock, and that it feels like its going to snap the engine off the mounts when its engaged.

yes, its less $$ than stock. but since you have a warranty i would just stick with that unless you want a faster starter or get tired or replacing yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.