thinking about buying a '97 f250... too good to be true? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
thinking about buying a '97 f250... too good to be true?

Alright... long story here. Gonna attempt to compact it. This will be my fourth diesel, and my second powerstoke. I REALLLLLLY wanted another cummins, but I love me some Fords, and am NOT all about throwing away awesome opportunities.

Me and a buddy are driving to the mall. We see this NASTY '97 powerstroke. Looks awesome! We go inside the mall, do our thing, then heading out it's still parked there, idling away. We gawk some more at it. My buddy says "go ask how much he'll take for it". I laugh and say "right!.... wait, should i?". He said yes.

we pulled up to the guy. Asked how much he wanted for the truck. He turned the key off, opened the door, and yelled back "ohhh... $3500?". We talked for a bit. Guy is second owner, and owns his own bulldozing company. The truck is a '97 xlt (I believe), 200k miles, 4x4, with a 6" lift, with 33" BFG tires. It is an extended cab, long bed, with an auto (boo..), but freshly rebuilt. Has new sticks. New alternatory. New batteries. New brake lines. The body has SOME rust on it, nothing my best friends dad cant fix. The frame is MINT. Looks amazing. He started it up, and it started up fast as hell, even with it being about 6*f outside.

$3500!? He says when winter season ends he'll sell it to me. Called him yesterday, he said around easter he will sell it to me. I'm gonna try showing with $2500 cash and picking it up.

Obviously I'm gonna check it over before buying. But anythign in PARTICULAR i should be checking out?

Matt

EDIT: Also, how is modability on the OBS trucks? Similar to my '99.5 NBS? IE, some good sticks, intake, exhaust, and custom tunes and it's scooting along pulling anything in it's path?

Last edited by 85_305; 02-08-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

for 3500, show up with 3500, and offer 2500. it started well at 6F because it was already hot. true start test is cold soak start.

even if it has minor issues, 3500 sounds like a steal for whats already been done!
Old 02-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Banned

Ya thats exactly what I was gonna do! Show up with full cash, try to bargain down.

hell, can you even find a damn motor for these things for less than 2g?!

I'm honestly not sure how hot the motor on his truck was... he wasn't in there when we went into the mall, but upon leaving he was. GRANTED, it wasn't a true cold start like you said. But he said it's got all new GP's too i think. Like you said, thats a steal even if it does need minor stuff. He says he's waiting 'til summer until he can get out his "nice trucks"... whatever those are...
Old 02-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yup, I wouldnt try to chew too much, might tick the guy off. Definately check it over, might have alot of miles on it, possibly why so little $$. Either way its a good price. I would be askin to see some proof of the new parts.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Banned

The truck has 200k on it.. I updated the initial post. But the guy seems straight forward. He owns a construction company of some sort. Seems a little "goofy", but very honest none the less. I'll be fine-tooth combing it before I buy.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Banned

Updated my original question; curious to know about modability on the OBS trucks. Also, this auto trans is the e4od right? Are they tough, or do they need valve body/TC in order to hold up?
Old 02-08-2011, 01:06 PM

they are just as moddable as the SD 7.3. moreso in some aspects. there are a few drawbacks but a few advantages. but with a few parts modded they really arent any different.

TC VB are advise, they arent bad but they are the weak point. upgrade the cooler too.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Banned

What are the drawbacks/advantages? I know they have the weaker hpop, but dont they come stock with single shot sticks?

If I do intake/exhaust/tuner/sticks, will I need a tc/vb or will the trans hold up?
Old 02-09-2011, 12:25 PM

advantages are forged rods, single shots, room in teh engien compartment, 1.15ar turbo housing - good for stage 1's, turbo its a bit better than the SD turbo from what others say. single shots usually provide better fuel economy anyway.

drawback is they are 90-98cc single shot injectors, mechniccal fuel pump - a bit weak but wil run stage 1's - popular mod is electric fuel system, weak e40d, etc.

the hpop isnt weak, jsut doesnt flow like the 17*, but im sure thats what your referring to. get and SD hpop and send it to Terminator to be modded if you like.

i think most of us would reccomend TQ, VB, and a cooler with stage 1 sticks.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:10 AM
Banned

Ahhh yes I totally forgot about the forged rods and the larger turbo housing! Thanks for the input man. I really hope this guy doesn't disappoint me and decide to back out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.