Oil Pressure Gauge All Over The Place - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Pressure Gauge All Over The Place

Hello all,

Just recently my oil pressure gauge is acting funny. At idle it flickers a little towards the low side but when driving and accelerating it is flickering very badly. It is mostly on the low side of normal or even maxed all the way to the left. It is almost acting like someone is flicking it with their finger. There doesnt seem to be any pattern to the behavior other than it does it less while I am in park or at a stoplight. I have had the truck for 5 years and the oil pressure gauge never moved a 1/16 of an inch from the normal range. I checked the oil in the crankcase and it is full and I checked the oil in the HPOP and it is full too. Could it be the 1 wire sensor that is screwed into the HPOP resevoir?

Thanks, Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 06:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

my truck did this to me once. I freaked out because I just bought the truck and was like its dying already. I took it to a garage, and he popped off the cover above the fuel filter. He had me watch the gauge and I notice him wiggling stuff and the gauge started acting goofy. He said a wire was loose. I cant tell you exactly which one. but sorry i cant help more.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Under the cover for the fuel filter is a sensor that screws into the HPOP. I have no clue what this does, maybe the sensor is bad and causing the gauge to not work properly. The wire could be loose too. Not sure what is causing the gauge to act different than normal. Thanks for the suggestion, I will check it out tonight.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Emergency Services

The oil pressure gauge sensor is on the HPOP resevior lid, the wire just slips on a threaded stud on the top. check the wire and connection to the sensor.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Would a faulty gauge sensor cause the needle to jump around evrywhere?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangdave357 View Post
Would a faulty gauge sensor cause the needle to jump around evrywhere?
I dont believe so. I think if they are going out or gone out, they peg out one way or another. Thats the way they have done me in the past anyway. not oil pressure but cheap fuel pressure sending units.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will check the connection and hope that its just loose. If that doesnt fix it I dont know what to do. The new sending unit from advance or autozone with a guage rather than a light is about 25.00. I have no problem buying it if I knew it was going to fix the problem.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
put a meter on it and see if it is jumping around.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I really doubted the "loose wire" theory since the wire pushes pretty tightly over a threaded stud but I gave it a shot anyway. I pulled the wire off, sprayed contact cleaner on the stud, and put the wire back on. To my suprise its back to working perfectly. I guess I learned my lesson, try the simple things first even if they dont make any sense. Thanks to all!
Old 02-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangdave357 View Post
I really doubted the "loose wire" theory since the wire pushes pretty tightly over a threaded stud but I gave it a shot anyway. I pulled the wire off, sprayed contact cleaner on the stud, and put the wire back on. To my suprise its back to working perfectly. I guess I learned my lesson, try the simple things first even if they dont make any sense. Thanks to all!
Yuup. Try the free and easy possabilities first before yo start throwing parts at the thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.