Snow driving - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Snow driving

Hey guys, this is the first year with my psd and I must say, I'm disappointed with the way she drives in the snow. I bought a set of brand new Big-O XT's so I'm thinking it's the tires' fault. With a slight incline, I had trouble getting up my driveway in 4wd with about 4-6" of snow. I have 195lbs in the back. Extended cab long bed. It has a tiny bit of trouble getting started to go from a stop in snow on flat road as well. The only good thing about these tires is traction when stopping and they're decent at low speed snow driving. I'm looking for year round tires with great snow traction. I'd love to know what tires/tips you guys have had success with and which brands to avoid. Let me know if you experience the same problems as me or not. Please don't suggest chains/studded tires; they are impractical for my needs. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
more weight. 200lbs isnt crap. For a while i had a dana 44HD axle in the bed for winter weight. right around 500lbs is the magic number for me
Old 02-01-2011, 11:07 PM

I drive in more snow than that every year. I even take the ol girl up wheelimg in the snow. I have cooper MT on it right now but want my BFG AT back. By far the best tire in the deep snow and THE BEST tire on the compact snow and ice
Old 02-01-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartZ32tt View Post
Hey guys, this is the first year with my psd and I must say, I'm disappointed with the way she drives in the snow. I bought a set of brand new Big-O XT's so I'm thinking it's the tires' fault. With a slight incline, I had trouble getting up my driveway in 4wd with about 4-6" of snow. I have 195lbs in the back. Extended cab long bed. It has a tiny bit of trouble getting started to go from a stop in snow on flat road as well. The only good thing about these tires is traction when stopping and they're decent at low speed snow driving. I'm looking for year round tires with great snow traction. I'd love to know what tires/tips you guys have had success with and which brands to avoid. Let me know if you experience the same problems as me or not. Please don't suggest chains/studded tires; they are impractical for my needs. Thanks!
Haha 4-6" those would have to be the crappiest tires I've ever heard of. I think bald tires could do better. I have Cooper ST and they are awesome for all around tires. I drive in the mountains a lot hunting and d cking around and I've gotten stuck but not in 4-6" of snow and not my driveway.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:48 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I agree with the BFG AT's. I have ran these in the snow for many winters and they do great. You definitely need more weight in the back though. I try to keep my fuel transfer tank in the bed topped off at all times in winter, its good for a lil less then 800 pounds when topped off. It makes all the diff in the world.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:46 AM
Full A-Team Member

Mine is awesome in the snow, I rarely use 4wd. I have pro comp at's with 50,000 miles on them and they still do well. Have a set of bfg at's in the shed for the next set
Old 02-02-2011, 07:07 AM

My F250 did AWESOME last year in the 3 blizzards that hit my area. The pic is roughly 30" unplowed snow in my driveway. Plows had not gone down my street and I was out all day doing hospital runs.

Tires were LT305/70R16 Kumho KL78 AT's - highly worn at that! Fantastic tire in the snow! Truck handled the deep stuff like it was on rails! Snow driving-ford-snow.jpg
Old 02-02-2011, 09:02 AM

I defiantly agree the tires being at fault. I have definity dakotas 245/75/16 on mine and they are almost bald. and we got a foot one night down here in maryland and I had no problem at all getting around, and I dont have any weight in the bed either.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:12 AM

The first big snow we got i was bored and started driving through drifts at the farm with my worn-out Courser MT's. The fronts were bald, but the rears had some tread left. I was chugging along in 1-2ft drifts in 2wd without a problem. With my new tires i haven't even needed 4wd yet. And i don't run any weight in the bed except for maybe 150lbs of tools and crap in my toolbox, but i try to always run with my rear tank full.

My vote would be Nitto Terra Grapplers or BFG AT's. My brother and I each got our first set of Terra Grapplers this fall and love them. My dad is a believer in the BFG's and has been running them for years on his D-max. Heck, the first part of the winter when we got 6+" of snow he was out plowing in 2wd cause his front end was broke. The D-max does have the factory locker so that helps a lot, but those BFG's grip like crazy on everything.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:29 PM

Cooper S/T's seem to be a good winter tire, as long as you keep it narrow. I ditched my 285's for some 235's this winter, hell of a lot better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.