Should I keep it? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I keep it?

OK fellas I'm experiencing a bit of turmoil. I recently purchased a 1996 CCSB PSD. I have loved the OBS since I was in high school and I decided recently it was time to finally purchase one. Let me first say I love the body style!

I am, however, coming from an '06 5.9 Cummins that I just didn't want to make another payment on. That said after driving the PSD around for the past 2 months I am starting to wonder if I made a mistake. The power difference is mind boggling. The 5.9 smoked this PSD.

I have about $2000 that I would be willing to dump into my PSD to try to get it close to the torque of the Cummins. I tow a 30' RV.

1. Is this possible with $2000?
2. What mods should I do? (already have exhaust, DIY intake, gauges)
3. What mods will give me power yet remain reliable (no excessive EGTs ect.)

Or should I upgrade to a completely different truck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
tuner!!!!!!!!!! 6 pos for the old 7.3. you can get 140 more hp. i dont know about torque. also you could upgrade the turbo wheel to gain boost. i dont know much about the 7.3's ive never owned one. maby i should let the obs guys handle this one
Old 02-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

A chip with custom tunes..... you wont see 140hp gains without upgrading injectors but jim over at rosewood can turn your stock injectors into stage ones for about 500$. After that your looking at about 300 to 325 hp... depends if its an auto or manual...if its an auto id stay mild unless you wanna buy a built tranny if its a manual go nuts with 2000$ you can build a solid street able 7.3
Old 02-01-2011, 02:06 PM

You sound like me. 06 cummins to 97 obs psd. didnt want payments. Im happy with my pulling power though. Then again, I missed my old PSD so bad I am happy even though I dont have what I had with the dodge. Best of luck!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:07 PM

But! If you're like me, you better keep your OBS. I got rid of mine and kicked myself for the entire year I had the dodge.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman590 View Post
A chip with custom tunes..... you wont see 140hp gains without upgrading injectors but jim over at rosewood can turn your stock injectors into stage ones for about 500$. After that your looking at about 300 to 325 hp... depends if its an auto or manual...if its an auto id stay mild unless you wanna buy a built tranny if its a manual go nuts with 2000$ you can build a solid street able 7.3
Do I need to upgrade anything to control EGTs when towing with the injectors and tunes? The previous owner said the auto tranny was upgraded when it was rebuilt 40,000 miles ago (that may be BS though )
Old 02-01-2011, 03:18 PM

Actually the puny injector in the obs can only squirt out another 60-80 horses depending on the truck. With PHP tunes, 3" dp 4" back exhaust and tymar intake, my obs scooted pretty good. Never raced anyone, but it made me smile.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I run stage one injectors and TW tunes and my egs stay pretty low but if it becomes an issue you can always throw on a superduty intercooler for a few hundred bucks. I know I can lay into mine on the extreme tune and it takes about 6 seconds to reach 1300 but thats WOT on my tow tune i rarely see 1200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.