Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

OBS Flame Free Zone, Noob Questions are Welcome here

Tags
obs
570K views 6K replies 377 participants last post by  FreedomChaser77 
#1 ·
Ok here is the deal, I see a lot of people who post threads for a question that doesnt get answered or doesnt make sense or for whatever reason just doesnt get noticed. Well here is a thread that with any luck will be made a sticky and can be used to ask whatever you want OBS related. Engine, Trans, Axles, Interior, Exterior, performance, Anything you want

So ask away guys. I know a little bit of stuff and hopefully the guys who know more will chime in

#2 ·
Hey is the 460 five speed tranny the same as the diesel one my truck is a five speed and third gear syncro is goin bad and a buddy has one that was behind a 460 and will cut me a deal on it if it will work

#5,936 ·
I believe Everything Ford went Corporate like GM years ago. Said in english that means if it was produced after like 1984 and the numbers on the case match then it will work...
That being said just because the case of the tranny will bolt up, don't mean itll be the same gear ratio, you will definitely need to pay attention to length no matter what numbers are on the case due to trans that accept a transfer case or not?

My rule of thumb for transmission transplantation from live donors is make sure you are in a town where no one knows either of you(Vegas) make sure you have plenty of Ice and a new stick of Ruby Red Lips...whoops different type of transplant!
Anyhow measure Measure MEASURE! If the donor vehicle is not the same year make model or has a Puma at the steering wheel be real real real sure everything matches up... a decent Haynes or Powerstroke Hub should have details on gear ratio etc.
Hope this helps and remember if you are tiddly winkin round Vegas, Laughlin, Atlantic City, etc, and she is way outa your league talkin bout how she wants real bad to be real friendly to yer privates and gets offended when you ask how much...call security and tell them you may have appendicitis! Then calmy let them know once your proposed date is no where about that she wanted yer Kidney and was not willing to Financially Compensate you for it! Lifes a beach and ruff *** Kidney scars look none to well at the beach!

#5 · (Edited)
the fuel system is just like when it runs outta fuel. the trickey part is priming the oil system. If its got oil and you refill the fuel bowl when you reinstall it the truck will go. might take a minute but it will go

EDIT: dont drive the truck far as its gonna stutter and stumble as the air gets bled out of all the systems, run it around the block till your comfortable and its reliable then go on a good 50mile cruise to really belch the last of it

#7 ·
#12 ·
ask anything ya want, im no expert but I can usually find and info

Hey Joe, can you tell me how to get more people involved in the club?
Well our issue is we are spread out to much, I mean im 45 minutes from Garrett but im down there darn near every weekend, In winter its tough cause other than a QSL meet there isnt much to do, I liked the idea of the CCR guys had a snow day where they went and played in the snow, almost a sled riding thing, got some kids involved. Family type stuff?

stupid question but witch way does the thermostat goes into the water neck.
uh good question. i think the bulge part goes down. if that helps?

#9 ·
Thanks Joe this might help I have asked a few questions nobody anserd or one person did then got lost thanks

#10 ·
Hey Joe, can you tell me how to get more people involved in the club?

#13 ·
yeah i think i just figured it out was looking around on goolge. found a link to diesel magazine and they were installing a new boshe pump and dieselsites 203' thermo
long part goes down.

so went ot there site and ordered me up one.

#19 ·
Can you post that link?

Thanks

#15 ·
correct. but 95's used a short stub thermo. but if you upgrade to a newer style (just get a new pump there all the new style now)
and the thermo i just bought (203degree thermo from dieselsite.com) is the long stub witch i have read seals better and better flow (something like that.)
but for 45bucks i wont complain if my truck will run better and get to op temp faster and get a few better mpg's

#18 ·
#588 ·
Kinda wary about this mod. UVC harnesses and pass-thru gaskets get hot and eventually melt even on stock voltage (espesially OBS harnesses.). Was a tedious afternoon when I had to solder in 2 new connectors (eng. harness side), replace valve cover gasket and 2 UVC harnesses on my old '94.5 OBS.

Edit: Just found this thread and only got to page 2 when I posted this. Sorry if I backtracked the thread here.

#22 ·
question to you ppl.
is it possible to make the rear doors on the crew cab open wider. you know how like the newer (04+) dodge quad cabs the rear doors are opens 90` is it possible for our doors to do that or will the front doors hit the rear doors when fully open?

#23 ·
im sure it can be done but you would have to modify the hinge. Have a look at the stops on them and see if they have an actual stopper or if its just a metal on metal hitting point, cause metal on metal can be kinda massaged to open more

#25 ·
okay im seeing many threads on the exhaust backpressure valve. Where is it located? what does it do? what are the advantages and disadvantages of taking it out? I guess id just like more information on it. Thanks in advance!

#26 ·
ok the exhaust back pressure valve is located on the exhaust side of the turbo. its what the down pipe actually clamps to and is held onto the turbo by three 12 point 8mm bolts. what it does is when the truck is cold (based on outside air temp and EOT/ECT) it will close placing a load on the motor so it will warm up faster. If it works properly then its a nice feature but they are known to go bad and just randomly close when driving almost choking the motor. A lot of guys who tow have made them into exhaust brakes and they work well. The idea of deleting it goes off the theory of A) its not working properly so why have it? B) the exhaust exits the turbine spinning and flows well, then makes half a turn and hits that EBPV and gets all messed up. To further this point on trucks with it deleted you can actually see a swirl to the exhaust when they blow a little smoke. It also creates more turbo noise

#208 ·
yeah im lookin at another OBS and it lopes at idle, not sure for how long the guy said a few seconds, so im thinkin its the EBPV, how would i go about deleting it. im gonna chip the truck with a wildman 6pos tuner.

#27 ·
okay thanks my areas warm in the summer but it can get real cold here in the winter so i guess ill just leave mine on as long as it works right. Thanks a bunch that was a great explanation

#29 ·
anybody kno where i can get the banjo bolt copper washer's that are on the fuel system in the valley pan?
cause im having this hella fuel leak and the truck hasnt been running in over 3 weeks. idk if its building pressure in the tank since it gets cold---hot here in texas (screwy weather here)
it appears that the guy before me had replaced the hoses but i think im going to do that over again and make sure all the lines are tight. i just cant pin point the leak since its just basicaly a pool in the valley pan there.

#30 ·
Ok I have a question. I have a 97 F350 with the 4:10 rear end! It is an auto 4x4 and I am wondering what front end I have on my truck or what front ends they put on the OBS trucks. D60? I dont know much about the front and rear ends. Also what is and what does the master/slave cylinder do for a manual truck (I think it has to do something with the clutch pedal assembly?)?

#31 ·
It should have a D60 front. The slave cylinder dose opprate the cluch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.