OBS Flame Free Zone, Noob Questions are Welcome here - Page 263 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 11:45 PM
...kind of looks homeless

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Terry what's the condition of the connector pins? Are any of them bent or fouled?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 04:13 AM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuel View Post
When it does this pull the relay instead to see if it has the same effect as pulling the wiring. If it doesn't change then its between the relay and ground after the IDM. If it does work then it's something before the relay or the relay itself. Swap 2 and 3. And test again.
i am confused as to what you are saying. i will add since i forgot in my first post swapping relays doesn't have any effect they all buzz and when you pull whatever relay is in spot number 2 the buzzing stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine5811 View Post
Terry what's the condition of the connector pins? Are any of them bent or fouled?
on the IDM they are fine i have not checked over the wiring harness.

I will try joe's idea today
Old 11-20-2012, 07:04 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

What code? A 0262-0340 or a 12xx code?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuel View Post
What code? A 0262-0340 or a 12xx code?
If your talking to me it was a high to low side open I believe. Don't quote that though but I'm pretty sure.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-24-2012, 05:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

NooB from Wisconsin

Hello PowerStroke ! I've been reading your forums for several days now and i've really enjoyed the posts and the way the responses are handled. As of today i don't own a ford but i'm on the hunt ! i have 2 that i'll be looking at next week. They are a '96 and a '97 7.3 turbo powerstrokes with 350K on both. the price is $2700 each.... strangely and 4X4 auto trans extended cabs with 8" box. Are these good prices for the trucks ? And what are some things i should look for when i go to test drive them ? I'm sorry for the long first post Any help with this would be great as i want to come home with one of them, i'm like a kid in a candy store right now. Thanks again for you time friends and i cant wait to have more question later as we build my new toy up ! and thankfully this is a no flame zone because i'm almost afraid to ask this question......... what does OBS stand for ? Also i re posted this from the Introductions page hoping to get some more input on my new truck. Thanks again friends, hope you all had a great Thanksgiving !
Old 11-24-2012, 06:14 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
OBS stands for old body style lol. Just a term for us guys in the powerstroke world

Check for leaks anywhere, See how it starts bone cold and what kind of smoke comes out of the tail pipe. Check the condition of the oil, Also if you can pull the intake tube off the turbo and see how the wheel looks. No chucks out of it or severe sandblasting marks. Also wiggle the shaft in the turbo to see how loose it is. A minimal amount of play is ok as its an oil bearing. I am sure I am missing some stuff but its enough to get ya thinking.

Welcome to the site!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thats great THANKS !!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:59 AM

Do you know how to check for blow-by? Do the things Joe (Kanuck) mentioned cold then take it for a good hard drive, paying special attention to the way it feels, sounds etc and the way the trans shifts. That's a pretty healthy pile of miles on the e4od auto trans if they have never been rebuilt. Once you get it hot check the trans fluid. Should be a nice crisp red not brown at all and should not smell burnt. Smell some fresh ATF out of the bottle before you go so you know the difference. Try the 4x4 hi and low, lock the hubs, make sure that all works. Then with the engine good and hot, leave it running and pull the oil fill cap off and watch for any smoke coming out. Anything more than a light haze (some old engines do haze a little more than other that are still fine) comes out, walk away. This is called blow-by and means that the engine is bagged. Personally I take a floor jack, coveralls and few basic tools when I go look at a truck. I check all bearings, u-joints, ball joints etc and generally crawl all over it so I can make an informed offer not based on what some fool is telling me.

$2500 is an excellent price if the trucks are in half decent shape and mechanically sound

Last edited by JJFLASH; 11-24-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:23 AM
Diesel Freak

Check steering box and ball joints
Old 11-24-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHammer View Post
They are a '96 and a '97 7.3 turbo powerstrokes with 350K on both.
From what I've read and seen, be aware that at 399,999 miles the odometer goes back to 300,000. So both could have 450k, or 550k, miles, you get the point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
obs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.