What to look for? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What to look for?

Is there anything specific I should look at when buying one of these trucks? Other than things one would normally look at. Things that might be prone to problems? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Are you still looking at '05 to '06? Or are you now curious about the OBS with the 7.3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothhd View Post
... i am looking at 05 and 06 models but really haven't found the right one yet...
Old 12-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

O wow, you pulled up an old thread. I ended up buying an 07 back then and just recently sold it, as my needs have changed but i still need a truck. I've always liked the OBS and my wife likes the diesel noise. So I am in the market, once again. I spent hours just reading here before and ended up with a good truck, as a result. Thanks to all of the knowledge on this site. I was just wanting some insight as to what to look for and what to stay away from, while I read and research on my own. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:31 PM

Ah. Copied that. Welcome to the OBS part of the forum.

I had a '99 SD, and sold it. I really liked it, but circumstances dictated...

I just sold my '95 and I still have a '96, so I like 'em, but I'm biased. I also believe the 7.3 is a better motor all around than the later motors. I've heard stories and rumors of stories of guys bringing their pickups with 7.3's in them to dealerships with over a million miles. I've seen more than a few guys with over 300k on this board.

Look for the usual stuff; leaks, smoke, easy starting. Maintenance records would be a plus. Rolsmojave3 says to always tell the seller that he won't buy it if I can't touch the exhaust manifolds when I get there. That engine better be cold. That way he gets to see how it will start cold. Good idea, there.

I understand some of the older programmers are harder on the transmissions than the newer chips, so that might be something to avoid.

Superduty4x4 made a good post on this:
Major items to check-
Pull the intake tubing off with the motor cold and try to wiggle the nut you can see inside the turbo- a little side to side play is normal (as long as the wheel doesn't hit the housing), ANY in and out play is bad. The edges of the blades on the turbo wheel should be relatively sharp and straight- no nicks, gouges, excessively rounded edges, etc.

Check the intake tubing (especially the red boot at the turbo if it still has one) for cracks.

Get a good flaslight (not one of those small LED pieces of crap) and look down in the valley of the engine- there should be no puddles of any liquid in there.

Depending on outside temps where you are, check for white smoke immediately after you start it. If its cold out and the truck has a hard time starting and smokes white then the glow plugs are probably bad (remember, it's a diesel and if its in the 50's or lower give the glow plugs a few seconds to heat up before trying to start it).

Check the coolant for SCA levels if at all possible

Those are the major items. Of course don't forget the regular stuff like brakes, ball joints, tie rod ends, tire wear, etc. If you can, take someone familiar with Powerstrokes with you. Someone with access to something like AutoEnginuity would be a big plus.

Another one, specific to '99 - '03's, but it's still a 7.3:
What to look for when buying a USED 99-03 PSD

Keep us updated in your search.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I had seen the post you pasted above but had not ran across the two links. All good info. I am Brian, also.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:40 PM

Glad I could help. (It's rare, you know.)

With a name like that, you deserve a good OBS pickup!
Old 12-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

a 94.5 year model should be a PSD, right? How can I tell if there no PSD identifiers?
Old 12-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Yes it should be. There will be some other identifying details. Prior to the psd they had the pump and line fuel system. There will be a fuel injector line running from the pump located in the front of the valley to all 8 cylinders. There was a turbocharged version of the pump and line motor, but I have never seen one in person. There was also a post on here where someone did a write up on what to look for when buying a obs. Buying an OBS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.