Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Washer fluid operation ?

931 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  stroker95 
#1 ·
Is there a relay under the dash on pass. side of 95 OBS for the windshield fluid motor. Every time is push in the switch for the wipers the wipers move every time, but when I hold the switch in, sometimes I hear like a relay making contacts and the washer fluid is sprayed on window, other times holding switch in, no relay sound and no fluid sprayed, works about 5 times out of 10. Anyone seen this or fixed this before?

#2 ·
Yes 9 times outta 10 its the whole switch assembly

#3 ·
I realize it could be the switch on the steering column, but what is making the noise on the pass. side of the dash, sounds like a relay latching to me, when I try to dispense fluid on the windshield I get a soft sound from the pass. side, but when I actually get fluid to disperse the sound is a lot louder right before the windshield pump kicks in, sounds like a relay latching to me. Ill try to get to salvage yard soon and try steering column switch assembly first I guess.

#4 ·
There is a wiper delay/control module behind the glove box. It is a small black box.

#5 ·
When the high beams were cutting out the breaker on my truck, I figured it was the signal/combination switch, so I changed it out with one from O'reillys. The new switch does not work the pump when you push it in all the way. If you kind of push slow, it passes where it makes contact, and will remain pumping. If you keep going till it bottoms out, the pumping quits.

The original switch would pump the whole time when holding the end in. When trying to figure out why the pump would only run for a squirt before moving the wipers, I also found the relay box behind the glove box. I dismantled it and replaced the relay on the board, thinking that was the problem.

Now its just a game to see if I can wash the windows. :)

#6 ·
Thanks fellas, my switch is doin the same thing, halfway in or push in slowly washer fluid dispenses, never tried it like that until your posts, definitely know its the switch now. Many thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.