Sputtering/missing - dies and leaks fuel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sputtering/missing - dies and leaks fuel

Truck has been running like a top until recently had to replace fuel heater element and #22 fuse. Truck started and ran for a couple of days and missed a couple of times and died. I was only a couple of blocks from home so restarted it and drove grannied it back home and replaced the CPS. Started but needed a little extra crank to bust off and did the same as before. Started missing progessively worse so I did a uturn and pulled into the drive right as it died. Waited a minute or so and it fired right back up. Got out to pop the hood and noticed a BIG 3' puddle of deisel under the truck. Popped the hood and the valley had a good amount of fuel. Pulled the Y-pipe and checked around. The top drivers side hose to the fuel pump was wet as was the top of the pump. Cleaned the hose and could not find a leak. Couldn't find any leaks around the filter canister. Is my fuel pump taking a dump?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

There are 4 wire harnesses going into the valve covers (2 per side/cover). Just for kicks, unplug each one (with truck off) and check to see if any of them are fried / melted.

I recently had similar symptoms, albeit less severe than yours sound and two out of four of mine were totally melted. So I was running on no more than 4 cylinders.

After replacing the valve covers and rewiring new harnesses I was back in business
Old 12-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

That was actually the first thing that popped into my mind to check as I pulled into the drive and it died.....until I got out and saw a 3' puddle of fuel under the truck. Checked the filter canister and there was barely any fuel in it at all. That leads me to think it is a fuel delivery problem. I did look at the wire harnesses and they appeared to be in good condition but I did not unplug them. Something to check in the morning. Haven't tried my scanner either because I did not get a CEL and from what I've read on the forum, I prob'ly won't have much success getting codes or accurate data from a regular scanner but I'll try that in the morning just for squirts and giggles.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:56 PM

Ok i had a huge fuel leak not to long ago, my fuel bowl had a pencil sized eraser hole in the bottom of it big big leak. Maybe you should check the bowl itself. As for the missing and dieing dont really know what to tell you besides good luck...
Old 12-08-2010, 02:22 AM

Your fuel pump is shot,I'm installing new pump today on mine.I didn't get the big puddle of fuel but engine would cut off and miss and that ain't fun.All we have are o rings ,hoses and a pump in the valley,the pump leaks from a weep hole.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Guess I should put it back together and start it and try to see where the actual leak is coming from first. Pretty sure I'll be replacing the pump. Where is the weep hole located on the fuel pump? Should I get an OEM or has anybody had better luck/reliability with aftermarket?
Old 12-08-2010, 06:17 AM

The hole as it appears on my Ford replacement is on the right hand side underneath mounting hole.As far as putting it back together I would suggest getting pump and maybe the three small flex hoses, do the install anyway.Pump is around 100 bucks,they say Carter makes most of them,I think you can find a Bosch for another 30 more ,not sure it's worth it.If you have a leak after this,it should be smaller and cheaper .I only suggest replacement because of your chugging symtom
Old 12-08-2010, 06:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

OK. Thanks for all suggestions. I checked NAPA and they have a pump for $109 and a Bosch pump for $149. Waiting on a reply from my buddy at the Ford stealership to gimme a price on a OEM....and waiting for the temps to get above freezing. Sucks when your truck won't fit thru the garage door.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:10 AM

Good to hear,I just back from Ford store with the three hoses I mentioned in earlier post,you need if you choose oem,one package#F4TZ-9324-CA one long hose,one package consist of two hoses,smaller in length#FTZ-9324-DA.The other choices are using bulk hose and you cut to fit.Oh by the way,my "Ford" pump has Carter stamped on it

Last edited by Chop; 12-08-2010 at 07:12 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 12-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Good idea. Might as well replace the hoses while everything is apart.....and I can cut 'em if they end up being a b!tch to remove.

I can get an OEM pump from the stealership for $136. Is it worth the extra $30 or should I go to NAPA for $109. From what I just read, most of these fuel pumps are all made by Carter.....don't know if this is true. Guess I should go with the OEM Ford pump just to be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.