Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

EBPV Valve Behavior

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  trevor95f350 
#1 ·
My EBPV is acting a little weird. It always cycles when you start the truck, but since it's been colder (in the 20's) the valve has been closing and staying closed for quite a while. I always thought the valve was supposed to open after you started driving. Mine is staying closed unless you're on the gas pretty hard, so it acts like a jake brake whenever you're not in the throttle or you're just on it lightly. The strangest thing is that it's continuing to do this after the motor is warmed up (well into the "operating range" on the idiot gauge). Is this normal? If not, what should I do to fix it. I'd rather not gut the valve, as I rather enjoy the faster warm up times.

#2 ·
it doesnt really do crap except waste fuel, honestly. unplug it!! my best advice if you have the ability is to delete it totallyy.. best thing i did to mine.

#3 ·
its normal. unplug it and see if your warmup time is different and go from there.

#5 ·
NOOOO!!!!!!!!! Don't delete it!!!!!!!!!!!!! :punish2:

Rewire it to a switch. Lots of us have done it. It's really easy to do, you can activate it for a few minutes of warm up in the morning (REALLY helps get the operating temp up) AND you can then use it as a poor man's exhaust brake (if you have a manual trans, if not wire up a TC lock switch for your auto trans) :nod:

#6 ·
some people delete it to flow more exhaust, if you arent going crazy with performance, it does make a great exhaust brake

#7 ·
^^^ Agreed. For MOST people tho I don't think the EPBV affects exhaust flow enough that deleting it provides any gains that make it worth the hassle of removing it when rewiring it is so easy and gives a couple added benefits.

#8 ·
true.... i had a 1.0 exhaust housing to install at the same time so i did the delete as well....

#10 ·
I am having the same problem but today after driving the 50 miles home from work i opened the hood and i was gonna unplug it cause its getting annoying and im waisting alot of fuel well i feel my upper radiator hose and its cool, no where near hot, but i have good heat in my cab and it warms up pretty quickly so i know its not that thermostat any ideas? it has been around 0 the past few days

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.