Timing cover leak input needed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 05:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Timing cover leak input needed

The top of the timing cover on my '97 F350 is leaking oil. It is NOT the HPOP or the normal leak points. My mechanic said he's seen this only once before. (just my luck) The book states that this is a 20 hour job in which the engine is supposed to be out to do the job. Anybody encounter this type of leak before? If so, any known short-cuts for a repair? Once I get the cash, I will have the job done and have the thin rusty oil pan replaced as well. The shop is going to to all the normal seals on top that end up leaking also. With 312k on my ride, any suggestions on anything else that should be done during this wallet draining procedure??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2010, 05:13 AM

I see that my luck continues by the lackof replies. Nobody else has had this type of oil leak.....Big Blue's going to the shop on Jan 10th....
Old 12-25-2010, 05:25 AM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Can't help much since I've never seen this before. If the engine has to be removed, I would suggest replacing the water pump also just for the simple fact that it will be off anyways. There will be more guys chime in and help out.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
uh mine leaks there, but not enuff to worry about so i've never messed with it. If youve got your motor out and can afford it i'd put some studs and springs in it
Old 12-25-2010, 05:46 AM
Premium Member

are you sure its not the o ring on the cam position sensor?
Old 12-25-2010, 05:53 AM

I know the engine has to come out to get the cover off. I broke the timing cover with the wrong gasket. Definately replace the oil pan while you are in there. How bad is it leaking? With 300,000 plus on the truck, do you want to put $3000 or more into it? If it is not that bad, live with it and save your $$$.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Agreed, the engine has to come out, since the pan and oil pickup have to come off to remove the cover. Since it's that far apart, you may as well spend an extra $75 and replace the oil pump.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:43 AM

Thanks very much for the replies.
The water pump was just done as it was leaking badly, and of course a week later the timing cover started to leak. It leaks badly and right now (until the snow) I have it parked on the grass as it was destroying my driveway. It is definitely NOT anything else but that gasket leaking. I cannot afford another vehicle so the $2,300 I was quoted for the job has to be done. That price includes a new oil pan.

Thanks for the oil pump suggestion. I am worried about dumping a lot of cash into it, but the truck is in good shape with very little rust. The place doing the work has 3 customers with the 7.3 and ALL have OVER 400k on the engine with NO deep engine work. I already replaced the front shackles and springs.

Oh - and having them replace the idler pullies & tension pully while the engine is out.

To top everything off I noticed coolant under my wife's Tahoe..... When it rains it pours - or in todays case - snows.........
Old 12-26-2010, 06:22 AM

keep the truck! trucks will need expensive work now and then as they age. hopefully this is it for a while with yours. in general, if you have good compression your in pretty good shape imho.

just a thought, since the motor is out, consider having the oil cooler rebuilt. it doesnt require engine removal, but would be easier. you can DIY in your driveway if needbe though.

yes when it rains it pours. 'Murphy' is an a**hole.

Last edited by ridiculously_necessary; 12-26-2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:31 AM

in the OBS 7.3Ls you have to pull the motor to replace the pan. It sucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.