finding a fuel leak (somewhere near/around fuel filter bowl)? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 08:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
finding a fuel leak (somewhere near/around fuel filter bowl)?

Hi,

Wondering if anyone might have tips on finding a fuel leak that is coming (i think) from somewhere around the fuel filter bowl. If I watch that area with a flashlight (while engine running) I think that I can see the fuel accumulate, but am having a hard time identifying the source.

Only leaks while running, ends up dripping out tranny dust cover area, pretty steady drip rate. Significant enought that I've lost about 3 - 3.5 MPG.

Any suggestions appreciated.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
my bets on the fuel bowl drain valve.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:23 PM

Most of us have been thru this before,It's either o rings,hoses,or fuel pump.Sounds to me with engine running and system under pressure the pump is leaking ,unfortunately for me I too am having pump leaking but not as severe as yours.The valley becomes saturated with fuel and then drains down back of engine.There is a pressure switch on th FPR that will leak,but you can see easy enough.If you have a asphalt driveway,the diesel will eat it up,I know from my last PSD.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:25 PM

know where to get the FPR housing for the OBS? mine is cracked and pouring fuel out...
Old 12-05-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietoremain View Post

thanks for the tip, I'll try to check out the drain valve again.

Do you have any tips/suggestions on the replacing the valve? I don't know for sure if it is plastic or not, but wonder if it will be problematic to try to swap it out in cold winter temps.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop View Post
Most of us have been thru this before,It's either o rings,hoses,or fuel pump.Sounds to me with engine running and system under pressure the pump is leaking ,unfortunately for me I too am having pump leaking but not as severe as yours.The valley becomes saturated with fuel and then drains down back of engine.There is a pressure switch on th FPR that will leak,but you can see easy enough.If you have a asphalt driveway,the diesel will eat it up,I know from my last PSD.

thanks for your post.

I'll have to pull out my chilton and look up details on fuel pump - don't know much (anything) about it for this truck (my first diesel).

If you have any tips on further diagnosis, replacement and / or any suggestions on picking replacement part I'd appreciate any advice.

thanks.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietoremain View Post
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by normal View Post
thanks for the tip, I'll try to check out the drain valve again.

Do you have any tips/suggestions on the replacing the valve? I don't know for sure if it is plastic or not, but wonder if it will be problematic to try to swap it out in cold winter temps.
If the ball valve itself isnt the problem you can just get the orings and reuse the valve. I took mine off went to the parts house and couldnt find any orings so I just put the old ones back on and it hasnt leaked a drop since
If its real cold and your worried about breaking it just do it after the engine is warm.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:07 PM

If you commit to replacing pump ,it's common to replace the three flex hoses,and some replace both banjo bolt washers.The fuel bowl and FPR have some orings you can replace when you pull bowl .I found it easier to pull pump and bowl as a unit,but the neat trick is the banjo bolt inch and quarter wrench and a nice blanket to set your tummy on the radiator and go at.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does anybody have a step by step for pulling the fuel pump out or of at least how to get in there and tighten down all the connections? I am having pretty much the same issue. Fuel collecting in the valley on both sides of the fuel filter housing and dripping down the back of the engine over the transmission cover, bell housing, and starter motor.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:48 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Gertrude
for the last two weeks i've been diagnosing a fuel leak in my valley, and found put it was leaking from 3 different spots
1. right fuel hose under turbo had small hole
2. fuel filter sensor under the fuel bowl
3. left fuel hose under dp bolt to motor
and over those weeks i had the fuel bowl out about a dozen times
what help me alot was to remove the fuel bowl, and clean it with brake cleaner, make sure its spotless, and clean up the engine valley by soaking up the fuel with a bunch of paper towels or rags, just make sure its dry, then reinstall it, fire it up and let it idle for a while and try to see where its leaking from (front/middle/rear of valley) and drive it for about 10-15 miles, then strip it down again and see what has diesel fuel on it, this is how i found out my sensor was leaking, its a time consuming process, but it will definitely pin point where you are leakin from i'll post some pics up sometime this week to help illustrate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
diesel, drip, filter, fuel, leak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.