Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

ran out of gas

3K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Welderman2008 
#1 ·
ive searched for this but didnt find anything on a 95 7.3 . i ran out of gas and get it started..i put 4 Gallons in the tank and the fuel bowl is full. what do i do. thanks.:dunno:

#5 ·
So wait i was suppose to put diesel in? Yes i put diesel in:nod:. well ive cranked over till it ffinally killed my batteries. ive had a car jump starting me but its not enough juice to keep it cranking. Gonna the batteries up to autozone and have them recharge them. Any thing else i should do

#8 ·
when i first started i drained the fuel bowl, and i turned the key in the on ignition for 15 seconds then back off and repeated 3 times to fill up the bowl. then cranked over for about 3 secs- Thats all my batteries were allowing me to do before they die. Sorry guys im new to this whole disel deal, i can tear apart a gas motor with no problem, but this diesel is a whole new ball park. so thanks for helping:crazy:

#7 ·
Put more diesel in there. Make sure it's not drawing air. Make sure the fuel bowl is full. And crank for about 5-8 seconds at a time. Then let it sit another 5 then try again.

#10 ·
it wont fill the bowl automatically, only electric setups will do that. you ahve to fill the bowl manually or crank away. if you fill manually go about 1/3 fill so it doesnt spill out when you insert the filter.

i suppose if hte fuel pump is older, running it dry could have broken the pump seals. dont take my word on that but i could see it happening.

#11 ·
I ran out in my old 7.3 when the fuel gauge crapped out.

I had two new batteries at the time. I cranked mine for about 30 minutes (like the description above) until it pressurized enough and fired up on about 3 cylinders (enough to run on it's own).. It then took about 2 minutes of running to get enough fuel/fuel pressure to get all 8 fired up. It then ran like a champ for years until that damn woman ran across the road right into my lane and I hit her head on..

#12 ·
If you have a second person available you might try to get it to run on gasoline FUMES. That's how I purged my lines when I changed my fuel pump. Take your filter off, soak a rag in gas, have person inside crank the truck. While cranking you hold the rag near, not in, the intake. Keep a firm hold of the rag or you will suck it up. You can actually vary the running of the motor with how far away you hold the rag. I did have my batteries hooked up to a charger while doing this, so i didn't have to worry. Found this little ritual somewhere on here, but I'm not sure where.
Dave

#20 ·
Well, that sucks. I tried to save some money and bought batteries from Costco (was there getting tires anyway). I think they were $160 for both. But I just got them, so I'll have to get back to you in 3-5 years to let you know what I really think about 'em...

#23 ·
Don't even know if this applies to any of these batteries, but years ago I had inside information that a national chain parts store actually had their batteries designed to fail within the warranty period so they'd make money on the pro-rated battery. Also, this would mean they'd sell a new (pro-rated) battery every 2-3 years or so, and you'd basically be forced to be a repeat customer, because they'd always fail within the pro-rated warranty period.

#30 ·
go to advance autocraft golds w a 3 year free replacement for 100 ish a piece or if u go optima go yellow do not buy a red top!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.