Window problems. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Window problems.

Here's the low down. Crew cab truck, all windows work from the main control on the drivers door and other doors. Problem is when the power feed is hooked up to run the windows from any other window door switch in the truck, it is blowing the circuit breaker in the fuse panel. I disconnected the power feed and drivers door controls all windows no problem. But now I can't run any other window with the power feed disconnected. Anyone have this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 04:53 PM
ARMY MOM!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to korg70kbc
mine was doing that with the driver door side. I ended up replacing the fuse panel. I also had to replace the switch.

I have a extra fuse panel, & have seen the switch on ebay. Mine apparently was cuz everything got wet, but I was sick of replacing not so cheap relays.

good luck to you, hit up m-chan he is great at this stuff
Old 11-30-2010, 04:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by korg70kbc View Post
mine was doing that with the driver door side. I ended up replacing the fuse panel. I also had to replace the switch.

I have a extra fuse panel, & have seen the switch on ebay. Mine apparently was cuz everything got wet, but I was sick of replacing not so cheap relays.

I did try a new switch and that didn't work.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

One of my rear doors windows would go down but not up,I took the door panel off and found a wire had rubbed bare and was grounding,don't know why it worked going down but not up,crazy.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Powerstroke Techie

First off, what are we working on? That piece of information is very important. Second of all, let's clarify what the exact issue is. From reading the original post, NONE of the power windows work with their respective switches, but will operate with the master (driver's) control, is that correct? And replacing the master control with a new unit (assuming it's a new one from Ford) did not fix the issue, correct? What exactly do you mean by the power feed?
Old 12-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It's a 1997 crew. Replaced the switch with oem Ford. By power feed I mean the one at the bottom of the switch that feeds power to the other window switches. When that is hooked up it has a huge power draw and trips the circuit breaker in the fuse panel. I disconnected the power feed to the othe windows and they all work from the drivers door switch but not from the other windows since the power feed is not hooked up. Fixes the circuit breaker from tripping and until I figure out the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by korg70kbc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
First off, what are we working on? That piece of information is very important. Second of all, let's clarify what the exact issue is. From reading the original post, NONE of the power windows work with their respective switches, but will operate with the master (driver's) control, is that correct? And replacing the master control with a new unit (assuming it's a new one from Ford) did not fix the issue, correct? What exactly do you mean by the power feed?
Old 12-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got4wd View Post
It's a 1997 crew. Replaced the switch with oem Ford. By power feed I mean the one at the bottom of the switch that feeds power to the other window switches. When that is hooked up it has a huge power draw and trips the circuit breaker in the fuse panel. I disconnected the power feed to the othe windows and they all work from the drivers door switch but not from the other windows since the power feed is not hooked up. Fixes the circuit breaker from tripping and until I figure out the problem.
You've just answered your own question right there. It sounds as though you have a short to ground somewhere. What you need to do, is connect an ohm meter and check the continuity of the red with light blue striped wire (the main power feed from the master control to all the windows) to ground. You will likely have continuity by what you are describing. Repeat this test after disconnecting the wiring from each door to the window switches one by one, until you have no continuity. This will isolate the problem area. Once you've isolated it, repair as needed. You will likely find that circuit with wire exposed contacting the door pillar. Pay particular attention to areas where the wiring is constantly flexed by the hinges. Once you find an fix the wiring, re-connect the main power feed and retest.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Problem solved, thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.