Guidance needed!- coming over from the cummins side? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Guidance needed!- coming over from the cummins side?

Hello board,

I have owned a 2005 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4 6 speed 35K miles CCSB, I had way to much $$ wrapped up, sold it

Currently a 2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x2 auto 75K miles CCSB , I got stuck the other day with my family and was pissed. stuck as in couldn't reverse up a wet grass hill. I feel its time for a new truck, one that I can keep for a long time.

I have always loved the OSB 1997 F250 and of course the 7.3L. I believe it is a classic.

I have never driven a OSB 7.3L, Can you all help guide me? interior comfort, interior noise, engine noise level, 4x4 ride, maintence issues?

I have a family of 4 and am looking at a low mile 97 F250 CCSB 4x4 7.3L on ebay.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i absolutely love the comfort of the seats in the truck. very soft and the ex cab trucks the front seats go back far, the crew cab, not so much but still comfy. i have a 97 ex cab and the truck im driving now(dads) is a 96 f250 ccsb. my truck inside is loud cause its got exhaust and stuff. my dads is super quiet and its all stock but an intake and no cat. the motors are a little clanky at idle like all diesels but on the road crusin its pretty nice, my girlfriend can sleep in my truck and my exhaust comes out a foot back from her door. my truck is lifted and stiff. my dads is nice and smooth, i really love it actually. his truck has had no real big issued except for cps, fuel pump and the alts and stuff. mine had been more in engine maintance like hpop ipr valve idm and that sucky expecnive stuff. never really use the 4x4 in my dads but when u need it its there and it works great
Old 11-22-2010, 08:03 PM

Hands down best style of truck ever made.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:46 PM

I've driven buddys' Cummins. They're different, but I was comfortable and liked them. The weird thing was it seemed I wasn't seated directly behind the steering wheel... Anyway, the OBS I like too, ergonomically probably a bit more. I had a Superduty ('99) and I actually like the ergonomics of the OBS better. It's kind of like chocolate ice cream vs vanilla. I like them both, but one I like a little more than the other.

I just posted this in another thread, but not too long ago I was told by a diesel mechanic that he thought there were really only two diesels worth having in a pickup; the Cummings and the 7.3. So either way you're probably golden so go with the ice cream you like best.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:24 AM

I was in at the local stealer buying an oil filter and the parts manager saw my ol beast sitting there and his statement was: "Wow, that thing's in great shape! I have several buddies that would line up to give their left nut for that thing". Great trucks indeed.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:07 AM

i agree. i like the interior of the OBS better than the dodge.

7.3 issues:
CPS - some dont have any problems
auto tranny is the weak link - easy upgrades will extend its life
fuel pump isnt bad, but when it wears out many of us go electric.

other than that its just the usual you would have with any vehicle... sensors, batteries, alternator, etc. wear and tear items.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I own a 97 f/250 4wd Xcab long box completely stock. As far as the ride goes its very acceptable. With a little weight its like a towncar. The interior is what i love about the OBS. I have had several of them. I like it a lot better than my dads 01 and my buddies 09. I think they have more room and the cab is set up a lot better in the way its laid out. The only real difference between the cummins and the pwrstk is the mileage. I average between 17-20 on the interstate and 14-16 around town, where my brothers cummins has seen some 25+ on the open road (12v). I know that the Ford truck is built to last a lot better than the Dodge. Theres my .02
Old 12-20-2010, 07:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I pulled the trigger!

Well, I found a 2002 F250 CCSB 4x4 7.3L auto Lariat w/ 86k. It is in great condition and couldn't pass it up. The interior is perfect. I drove it home 3+ hours and it was awesome. I am very happy with the purchase!

Old 12-20-2010, 08:18 AM

Sweet truck!

Welcome!
Old 12-20-2010, 09:47 AM

wow that sucker is clean!

so... when do you start moddin? :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.