Join Date: Jun 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 PSD DP install
Did this work several months ago but my brother just gave me the pictures a few weeks ago and I wanted to do a quick review in case it helps anyone since I have learned so much from this board.
The removal took a while and we ultimately had to cut the pipe a second time a few inches back from the turbo to extract it which I haven’t heard of before but we did it carefully and made things less hard. Other than that it was typical.
The new exhaust system was a 3” DP to a 4” turbo back diamond eye with a no cat and the performance muffler. The old system was cat-less (Texas truck as far as I know so I think that is factory) but the system had definitely been worked on since the truck left the factory and the hanger installation was rednecked for lack of a better word.
The firewall required the typical “expanding” to get the DP in and I had the great idea to use the jack of my civic, sometimes my great ideas don’t work out so great but this one turned out to be a gem and it was very easy and worked like a charm. You can see it in the picks.
We used the Dei exhaust wrap you see in the picture purchased at O’reilly’s and wrapped the DP before installed and stuffed the extra inside the pipe and installed the pipe. The fit up the rest of the exhaust and wrapped the remainder in place which was a total B. Installed the clamps over the wrap and tightening the clap in this position was not easy, could get one side with the impact using extensions and joints but the other end was a box wrench and took a while. Ended up over tightening by accident and put a little taco in the clap but looked OK so left it be. All the rest of the pipes went in easy with nice access for the impact gun. Had to do some simple reworking of the hangers that came with the exhaust to sync up with the rednecking previously done to the mounts but went smooth and was fun to weld something.
The tip that came with the set was too big to fit so we cut a sleeve out of the extra pipe and cut that in half to shim the pipe which worked great. Gettign the spare back on was not easy and a hour or two of further adjusting of the pipe and the tire mount with a shop press made things all fit with ½” to 3/4 “ of clear between the two.
Overall went in real nice and would recommend the product. Truck runs about the same as far as power and sound as far as I can tell, I have since put in some gauges so I don’t know if EGT or boost were affected. Got a tymar intake installed to so ready for the tunes now!
Enjoy the pics, Donny
1997 LBCC 4x4 PSD auto trans., purchased May 2010 with 230k miles
stock as of 8/10
tymar intake, gauges, 3" DP with 4" TB cat-delete exhaust installed 11/10
TW 6 pos chip Eco/daily/street/extreme/tow/hvy tow installed 7/11
stancor relay, new batteries, new GPs installed 1/12
Last edited by DonnyH; 11-19-2010 at 12:41 PM.