97 PSD DP install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 PSD DP install

Did this work several months ago but my brother just gave me the pictures a few weeks ago and I wanted to do a quick review in case it helps anyone since I have learned so much from this board.

The removal took a while and we ultimately had to cut the pipe a second time a few inches back from the turbo to extract it which I haven’t heard of before but we did it carefully and made things less hard. Other than that it was typical.

The new exhaust system was a 3” DP to a 4” turbo back diamond eye with a no cat and the performance muffler. The old system was cat-less (Texas truck as far as I know so I think that is factory) but the system had definitely been worked on since the truck left the factory and the hanger installation was rednecked for lack of a better word.

The firewall required the typical “expanding” to get the DP in and I had the great idea to use the jack of my civic, sometimes my great ideas don’t work out so great but this one turned out to be a gem and it was very easy and worked like a charm. You can see it in the picks.

We used the Dei exhaust wrap you see in the picture purchased at O’reilly’s and wrapped the DP before installed and stuffed the extra inside the pipe and installed the pipe. The fit up the rest of the exhaust and wrapped the remainder in place which was a total B. Installed the clamps over the wrap and tightening the clap in this position was not easy, could get one side with the impact using extensions and joints but the other end was a box wrench and took a while. Ended up over tightening by accident and put a little taco in the clap but looked OK so left it be. All the rest of the pipes went in easy with nice access for the impact gun. Had to do some simple reworking of the hangers that came with the exhaust to sync up with the rednecking previously done to the mounts but went smooth and was fun to weld something.

The tip that came with the set was too big to fit so we cut a sleeve out of the extra pipe and cut that in half to shim the pipe which worked great. Gettign the spare back on was not easy and a hour or two of further adjusting of the pipe and the tire mount with a shop press made things all fit with ” to 3/4 “ of clear between the two.

Overall went in real nice and would recommend the product. Truck runs about the same as far as power and sound as far as I can tell, I have since put in some gauges so I don’t know if EGT or boost were affected. Got a tymar intake installed to so ready for the tunes now!

Enjoy the pics, Donny
Attached Thumbnails
97 PSD DP install-p8220003.jpg   97 PSD DP install-p8220004.jpg   97 PSD DP install-p8220008.jpg   97 PSD DP install-p8220009.jpg   97 PSD DP install-p8220011.jpg  

Last edited by DonnyH; 11-19-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

more pics attached
Attached Thumbnails
97 PSD DP install-p8220011.jpg   97 PSD DP install-p8220012.jpg   97 PSD DP install-p8220015.jpg   97 PSD DP install-p8220018.jpg   97 PSD DP install-p8220019.jpg  

Old 11-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

and some more, last one is from last week down in baja, truck likes the mexican diesel as much as I like the tequila. Ran great...
Attached Thumbnails
97 PSD DP install-p8220020.jpg   97 PSD DP install-dsc_0455.jpg  
Old 11-19-2010, 01:57 PM

That truck had a cat, right past the connection to the DP was your converter, I know all about them, just left on laying on the ground myself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.