D60 Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
D60 Question

If I swap out the d50 for the d60 will it get rid of that need for constant steering input to maintain anything vaguely resembling a straight line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You replace the steering stabli?
Old 11-18-2010, 09:29 PM

Re: steering stabilizer. No. It's relatively new. It's always done this since my dad bought it over ten years ago. Also my 95 2WD does the exact same thing if not a little worse. I took that truck to a front-end guy (who is so anal he physically modified an a-arm on my old car just to get another degree and a half of camber). He gave the front end a green light and said that's just the way those TTB front ends are. My 99 F250 didn't wander.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:50 PM

My D60 swap wanders all over the place but the truck has a burned out steering box... Hows the play in your steering box?
Old 11-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
idk my one dana 50 truck drives like an arrow, where as my 250 with a dana 60 swap is straight-ish, but my 350 wanders all around
Old 11-18-2010, 09:57 PM

I just completed (yesterday) my d60 swap, and yes, in my case it solved that problem completely. My TTB was spent, needed new everything including tie rods and ball joints and pivot bushings - and yes my truck wandered down the highway like a drunk sailor. Now steering and tracking is excellent, but FYI I put on a completely rebuilt D60 kingpin and all new tie rods, shocks and tires. twasn't cheap.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

haha yeah those arent cheap to redo. It all depends on your axle/steering/tires. my 250 i swapped wandered bad but with spent ball joints and little tires it was crap. now with brand new ball joints, a 60, and 37s shes straight and narrow
Old 11-19-2010, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
My D60 swap wanders all over the place but the truck has a burned out steering box... Hows the play in your steering box?
Well, I have almost zero play at the steering wheel so that tells me it's OK although I did have someone once tell me that doesn't mean the steering box isn't worn, but that makes no sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck15 View Post
idk my one dana 50 truck drives like an arrow, where as my 250 with a dana 60 swap is straight-ish, but my 350 wanders all around
So it's not necessarily a d50 thing then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver_Diesel View Post
I just completed (yesterday) my d60 swap, and yes, in my case it solved that problem completely. My TTB was spent, needed new everything including tie rods and ball joints and pivot bushings - and yes my truck wandered down the highway like a drunk sailor. Now steering and tracking is excellent, but FYI I put on a completely rebuilt D60 kingpin and all new tie rods, shocks and tires. twasn't cheap.
Yes, that's the wander I'm talking about, although yours sounds a bit worse than mine. So I may be looking at worn components, but from what I've read repairing the d50 is a bit like polishing a turd; at least where swapping in a 60 is an option. I did just replace the BFG Commercial A/Ts with Michelin LTX A/T2s and that helped a tiny bit. Shocks are still good.

Quote:
...my 250 i swapped wandered bad but with spent ball joints and little tires it was crap. now with brand new ball joints, a 60, and 37s shes straight and narrow
So it sounds like a d60 rebuilt or in good condition will fix the problem unless the steering box is worn.

Alright then, I'm going to recheck the front end for anything that may be worn and move the d60 swap from the "one day" budget, to the "one day soon" budget. Thanks, all.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:59 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

first off regardless of steering a D60 swap is a good idea. that center u joint is a ticking time bomb and once she goes it usually takes the axle with it.

secondly I do not know how but there is a way to tighten up our steering boxes. I will do more research on it and see what I can come up with
Old 11-19-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
first off regardless of steering a D60 swap is a good idea. that center u joint is a ticking time bomb and once she goes it usually takes the axle with it.

secondly I do not know how but there is a way to tighten up our steering boxes. I will do more research on it and see what I can come up with
Not sure about these boxes but. On top of the box there is a Hex bolt with nut on it. Loosen the nut and tighten the hex bolt. Not to much or you'll screw up the box. I can.t remember exactly what it tighten but if you tighten it to much it kills the box in no time. If I remember correctly its a bearing or collar it tightens. But like I said not sure if these boxes have that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.