No wonder the Dipstick hole in the oil pan was leaking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Transmission or Injectors

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
No wonder the Dipstick hole in the oil pan was leaking

After bracing and preparing for the job I have been dreading doing since I got the truck (and it was leaking pretty good way back when), It was time to reseal the Dipstick hole in the oil pan.

I accumulated all the necessary parts, and braced myself to see if I was going to drop the flange into the pan.

Success! all went without a hitch. And once I was done, It was amazing that it wasnt leaking more than it was. First I was so glad I sprung for a new nut, as the old one was far more mishapen than I would have ever imagined. And the o-ring was broken, and swollen to 4 times the size of the replacement o-ring.

Here are some pictures of the aftermath
Attached Thumbnails
No wonder the Dipstick hole in the oil pan was leaking-imgp1566-custom-.jpg   No wonder the Dipstick hole in the oil pan was leaking-imgp1568-custom-.jpg   No wonder the Dipstick hole in the oil pan was leaking-imgp1569-custom-.jpg   No wonder the Dipstick hole in the oil pan was leaking-imgp1574-custom-.jpg   No wonder the Dipstick hole in the oil pan was leaking-imgp1575-custom-.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice work. what did you use to keep the flange from falling into the oil pan? i have the same problem but i tightend the nut a little and stopped the leak (temporally). Hoping it will hold till summer. Did you order a kit, or ?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Dieselorings.com sells a nice kit for this job for around $40 I believe that includes everything needed, including a way to hold the flange so you don't lose it in the pan.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:34 PM

Yes, I basically bought the parts I needed to replicate the Dieselorings kit. It worked out that I got everything I needed for the price of the kit, without the shipping and the wait. I had some gasket material, so I made the paper nut gasket myself. I also ended up with a way bigger tube of Loctite 515, but I will use it for other stuff.

The wirebrush works well for holding the flange. I bought one for 1/2" pipe, so it was a little big, but it was not going to fall off.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:36 PM

I know, old thread.
Mine isn't getting attention :
So I'll resurrect this. Any tips on doing the fix?
Old 03-12-2012, 03:57 PM

Sorry for not responding sooner, I deleted all my subscriptions somehow, and didnt get an alert.

I did two other dipsticks after doing this one.

I think that either the inside flange on the black truck (the truck this was based on) was either distorted or I got a bit of oil on the inside o-ring, because its got a bit of a leak to it. If I did get oil on it before adding the red loctite, I think that might be the cause of my leak.

The other two have been holding up fine. They were never touched, attempted to be tightened, so I think that if they are tried to be tightened, thats what warps the flange and nut.

The Dieselorings.com kit has a good pdf download for the instructions, that is basically what I did.

As for tips, just make good and sure the wire brush is wedged good into the flange, and give it a bend, so that you can hook the brush on the hole after removing the nut. Also, do it with the oil drained. I did not drain my oil, and thats how I think I may have contaminated the flange before applying the loctite to it.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:40 PM

No big deal.
I was going to just use needle nose vice grips or something else to hold the flange up there.
So basically just keep oil off the flange o ring to keep it from expanding, otherwise it won't seat good?
And use red loctite threadlocker to keep the nut from backing off later?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:31 PM

I didnt use the vise grip, because I thought I would damage the sealing surface of where the tube goes, causing another leak.

I thing the oring did the best it could, but the flange was distorted enough that it didnt seal. I was hoping the loctite would help out and make up the difference. I was wrong.

The loctite 515 (same as in the dieselorings kit) was more of a sealer, than a threadlocker. Its kinda runny, but thickens over time

Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.