Uh oh...Battery help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Uh oh...Battery help

I'll try to make this story short. So my trucks been sitting in the driveway for about 3 months and I decided to change the oil today but it has a dead battery from sitting too long. So I first tried to jump start it with another vehicle but it didn't get enough charge to it. So then I hooked up my 50 amp 12V battery charger to the passenger side battery for about 10 minutes and then tried to start the truck with the battery charger still running and all the lights on the dash started to flicker and the engine made a ticking noise but didn't turn over at all....Did I just completely mess up my electronic system or do I need to try starting it a different way? Batteries are only two years old also. Thank you for any advice or help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 02:38 PM

Oh and I also had my PHP chip still connected as well but I guess If I fried the electronics that would have gone to probably ..
Old 11-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

put the charger on it and leave it overnight
Old 11-07-2010, 02:42 PM

ya the clicking and lights flashing is the truck just trying to pull more amperage than what the batteries are holding. It shouldnt take overnight, but at least an hour or 2.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth_600rr View Post
put the charger on it and leave it overnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylev90 View Post
ya the clicking and lights flashing is the truck just trying to pull more amperage than what the batteries are holding. It shouldnt take overnight, but at least an hour or 2.
So it's okay to start the truck with it still hooked up to the battery charger? I was reading the manual and it said not to hook it up to a 24volt supply but it didn't say anything about a battery charger so I assumed it was alright. I'm not that great with electrics so I'm not sure if 50 amps is too much or not enough for it? I'll go hook it back up right now though. It was just weird because everything seemed fine when I turned the key over but then the truck just started acting weird and all the lights were flickering
Old 11-07-2010, 02:47 PM

nah your fine. 50 amps wont hurt it. Not sure on leaving it plugged in while cranking. I have numerous time with no issues though. You didnt hurt anything bud
Old 11-07-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylev90 View Post
nah your fine. 50 amps wont hurt it. Not sure on leaving it plugged in while cranking. I have numerous time with no issues though. You didnt hurt anything bud
Alright thanks for your imput man, as you can probably tell I'm overly paranoid with my truck. I had to replace the starter and alternator 2 years ago so I just didn't want to go down that route again by doing something stupid
Old 11-07-2010, 03:37 PM

Could also be a bad connection between the battery and the starter. My car did that a few years back. Check and clean terminals

50 amps deffinately wont hurt anything, my battery charger has a 200 amp mode to start things in seconds, have used it several times
Old 11-07-2010, 05:03 PM

[QUOTE=sk3322;2169219]Alright thanks for your imput man, as you can probably tell I'm overly paranoid with my truck. I had to replace the starter and alternator 2 years ago so I just didn't want to go down that route again by doing something stupid[/QUOTE

No problem man. Any luck yet? I get being paranoid for sure lol.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek18105 View Post
Could also be a bad connection between the battery and the starter. My car did that a few years back. Check and clean terminals

50 amps deffinately wont hurt anything, my battery charger has a 200 amp mode to start things in seconds, have used it several times
And I thought 50 was a lot lol. Did you start your truck with the battery charger and connected also?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.