Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

am i getting ripped off for a new idm by this shop?

981 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Chop 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, first of all thanks to everyone who has posted good info on this site. Searching this site has given me tons of good info.

i have a 95 f250 4x4 psd with 170k that has started to develop a hard start on the first start of the day, then it started to do it after warm up and sitting for a few hours. i took the truck to a diesel only mechanic shop in town with good rep, told him the problem and left it with them to cold start the next day and to scan for codes. they did a scan and a buzz test and came up with a code P1298. So they replaced my IDM with a new remanufactured IDM part # DTPS110 and called me to say it starts better and the bill would be about $950 and that if it did not fix the problem i could bring it back and get my old IDM back.

I did mention that the price seemed a little steep so he took off $150, then i asked if there was a core for the old IDM and he says," ya it's $150". They did not give me $300 off, just the $150 that i should of had off anyway. I googled the DTPS110 part number and i find it for about $450, they charged me $760 just for the part, not labor.
Now i am letting the truck sit for 2 days to see if the starting problem is still there but i really want to return this IDM for my old one then get one of the remanned ones i see online for $250 (there is a link below for the ones i found)

Am I getting ripped off?
Does anyone have any experience with one of these IDM's?

1995 Ford F-Series DIESEL IDM - Injector Driver Module 7.3 litre V8 DIESEL

Low Cost IDM Ford 7.3 Truck ECM ECU IDM FORD 7.3 Diesel Liters

thanks for your time

See less See more
#5 ·
we talked one time at the shop, we discussed scanning for codes and a buzz test. then he called 2 days later and said they had installed an IDM that they had on the shelf.
is there more to the install other than unplugging the wire harness and the 4 mounting bolts?

#3 ·
Generally the shop is going to charge more for the part. This is sales markup, thats how the shops usually make their bucks. I have also heard of IDM's going for anywhere between 400 to 700 bucks. If your truly not happy with their work I would keep confronting them, if they truly want to keep you coming back they will do what it takes to make it right.

#4 ·
#7 ·
Here in Virginia you gotta have an authorization for anything over 25 bucks,either written or by phone.What gets me with all the communications available too us ,these guys did not ask.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.