a/c question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
a/c question

So I recharged my system and got it to work somewhat couple questions though.
My compressor is kicking in and out alot especially when at higher rpms and i lose the cooling. It is colder at idle.
So did i put in to much r-134a or not enough
What is the capacity of the system on a 1995 f-250

I guess i dont understand the pressure switch does it kick it out when it gets to high of pressure meaning there is to much or does it only kick it out when there is not enough pressure how does it regulate it and know when to kick the compressor in and out
Thanks
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Bump for some AC help.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via AIM to puttinoutsmoke Send a message via Yahoo to puttinoutsmoke
a/c problems

sounds as if yoou dont have enough 134 in the system yet...the pressure switch kicks the compressor off when the system is too low on freon so that the compressor does not burn up...not sure about how many cans exactly...most the time there is a sticker on the core support that will say others it is on the hood...but id guess about 3 1/2-5 cans...that is an estimate...btw if your system was completly empty did you vacuum it down and add pag oil ? hope this lil info helps you some...im in texas and i wont drive anything without air...
Old 05-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to gbear
I don't Have my Service manual here but I'll get it tomorrow and give you the amount of charge. It sounds like you have too much charge. How did you arrive at the Charge you have now? I had to replace the hose from the accumulator to the compressor on My 95 F250 and I weighed in the charge.
When I see my manual I'll tell you the amount.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I bought a kit form interdynamics and it came with the gauge i used all three cans and arrived at 20lbs of pressure the system was already purged since it had all leaked out i checked the high and low end so i began adding freon the valve was stuck open so i lost some of the first can if not most of it so thats how i got to where i am now it does blow cold but when you step on the pedal the compressor kicks out and in.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay i just added one more can and it is more consistently running now still kicks in and out more than i think it should i am at about 25 lbs and it is ice cold at an idle still would like to know what the recomended amount is and pressure for the system.

Sure am glad to see some progress in the system though it didnt work last summer and i was scared to foot the bill to have it checked out and change over to r134a The kit i got was a breeze to use and sure was worth the 50 bucks.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Banned

2 pounds 6 ounces should be the spec......Marc
Old 05-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Under the hood of my truck (95 F250) on the lable on the core support it says 2lbs and 6 oz max charge. as Marc has already said. In my service manual is tell me that the charge is 2 lbs and 1 oz (+ or - 1 oz). I know this caused me some confusion when I was working on my truck. I was working with a totally evacuated system (Vaccum down and checked for 15 minutes).
I weighed in 2 lbs. and 2 oz's to allow for loss with the removal of gages) The system is working for over 16 months just fine. I check the center registers of the truck several times and during freeway driving have the temps running 38 for low and cycling to 44 on the high during the cycle.
Like the lable say's I think that is a max charge and the service manual is a mininum charge. I hope this was of some help. I made a pdf file of the page in the service manual but don't know how to attach it to this reply. There is a chart in the manual that deal with the pressures but it is temperature dependent. If the gages you are using have temperature on them you will see what I am Talking about the High side pressure will correspond with the condenser temp and the low pressure side will correspond with the evaperator temp. According to the service manual the Switch on the Accumulator/ Dryer is the low pressure switch or as the book calls it (A/C cycle switch) it bring the compressor clutch in at 23 psi on the lows side. I also cycles it off at between 40 and 47 psi on the low side (the cab is cool temp). I have a black truck and live in the South, and A/C is on the the list of thing I want to work Right. I hope this helps.

Jim (gbear)
Old 05-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Banned

as far as the charge wieght Gbear.....the 1994 and early build 1995's had a charge weight of 2lbs 1oz.........but then ford released a TSB saying to put them all at 2lbs 6oz.....so the manual you have must have just not got updated with fords change in the charge weight........i cant access the manual for anything older than 96 online so i had to reference the TSB just to post the spec.....thats the only reason i know this.......Marc
Old 05-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Powerstroke Techie

When I was doing the work on my truck I didn't know so I just went with the lower level. But what you say explains alot about some of the things I read.
I was more worried about an overcharge than a under charge. I think my manuals were printed in July of 1994.
Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.