slight blue smoke on startup, possibly turbo seals? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
slight blue smoke on startup, possibly turbo seals?

ok so recently did a powerstroke swap and motor sat out of donor vehicle for a few months prior to rebuild. Does anyone know if turbo seals will go bad after sitting for a few months with no use. The only reason why I ask is i can see some oil residue on the around the outlet of the compressor housing and some oil residue around the intake runners where they meet the heads causing me to think this would cause some slight smoke on startup. Any thoughts guys? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2010, 05:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

first watch oil level and see if its dropping. on cold starts my truck throws out big thick clouds of white then turns blueish smoke for the first few minutes til the motor has some heat in it. its just unburnt fuel. i have brand new GP's and i tested the relay and wiring harness to be good.

this is back when my truck was stock. now i have mods in sig. smoke show hasnt changed.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ya it only smokes on startup. As soon as the engine is warm it no longer smokes, and the oil level never drops. There might be a small miniscule leak on the back of the hpop though.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I wouldn't worry about start-up smoke, most likely just unburnt fuel which comes out of diesel's in a blue-ish white color. If the turbo seals were bad the smoke would never stop and most likely get worse as rpm/load increases. Start-up oil burn is usually from worn valve guides and/or valve seals so like mentioned before just keep an eye on the oil level.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Alright, ya I can see that now with the turbo seals being a constant smoke. I keep a pretty good eye on the oil level and it doesn't drop. I had the head vacuum checked and looked at while doin the rebuild and they checked out good. I also had to spend the big bucks and throw new sticks in too, so I dont think there would be a problem there either.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

you know what's interesting, my truck doesn't smoke much at all during cold starts. Even when I start it on WVO. The temp here rarely reaches freezing, but when and if it does I've had no issues whatsoever. Good luck with you're new engine, I'm sure you will enjoy!
Old 11-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I love it so far, alot more giddyup than the old idi motor for sure and sounds quite a bit better too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.