'95 7.3 into '94 truck - How Would It Be? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'95 7.3 into '94 truck - How Would It Be?

Hey guys, new to this forum from another not so busy powerstoke forum. Anyhow, a friend of mine is asking advise that I said I would help with. He wants to buy a 95 powerstroke and use the engine in his 94 F350. Reason is because old engine is shot and needs a new one. Please forgive me, I don't know a lot obout these engines, but he is concerned about the older motor being IDI and the newer is DI.
Questions:
-Would motor drop in and bolt up to transmission or would the 95 transmission need to be used?
-What additional work would need to be done to accomodate the newer DI engine from the older IDI engine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2010, 12:21 PM

auto or standard r they both 2 wheel drive.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well this is reverse technology, Everything will bolt up transmission wise. The fuel system will need tweaked a bit but not by much. As for electronics thats the nightmare if its an auto. You need the wiring harness off of the IDI to accommodate PCM im guessing. If its a 5 speed then its somewhat easier. But you might wanna post this up in the IDI forums as well to see what they know about wiring

On the other note whats wrong with the motor in it? its tough to have a PSD be shot
Old 11-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The motor will bolt up no troubles there, but thats the easy part. You will need wiring harness from the DI engine, Accelerator pedal because its a drive by wire setup versus the cable drive on the IDI. Map sensor, radiator and overflow tank are needed for the powerstroke engine, the PCM and IDM for the Powerstroke engine are needed as well. Swap is well worth it but the process is very time consuming by no means a plug and play.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

uh he wants to go the other way, it has a DI and wants and IDI
Old 11-05-2010, 06:22 AM

the title and the post say to different thing. i am wondering which he is trying to do.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:09 AM

Sorry

I was not clear enough, I apologize.
We are looking to take the motor from the 95 truck and put it into the 94 truck. 94 truck with 95 engine would be the end product.

I am not sure if the 95 is auto or manual just yet. The 94 is an automatic and whichever tranny is easier to use (install wise) would be the one used in the end product truck - I know I need to find out what's in the 95 for a transmission.

Aparently, the 94 was a 2wd truck origionaly but a shop got ahold of it and converted it to the 4wd dually that it is today.

The problem with the current engine is that he did a compression test on it and got 400psi out of 5 cylinders, 200psi out of two cylinders and 0psi out of one cylinder. So we are currently exploring options, he said he was going to take an air compressor to the cyl with 0psi to find out where it is leaking.

Sorry again for the confusion
Old 11-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

ok so Powerstroke in an IDI, everything bolts up and you need the PCM, IDM, MAP sensor and the Powerstroke fuse block. Also get the Powerstroke gauge cluster (just cause the tach says turbo diesel lol)
Old 11-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

As far as fuel goes there is a hard line that travels to lift pump on the side of the block on the idi engine, and a rubber return line off the back of the driver side of the top of the block. I cut the hard line right beneath the firewall on the driver side and just ran fuel injection hose for both the inlet and return lines on the powerstroke engine since there is no significant pressure until it reaches the pump on top of the engine. And the idi wiring harness is completely different from that of the powerstroke because it has connectors for the accelerator pedal, IDM, and PCM, everything else is similar between the two harnesses. The radiator for the IDI uses a regular filler neck with no overflow tank, versus the powerstroke needs a pressurized radiator and tank. Hopefully this is helpful to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.