Advice needed for new PSD owner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice needed for new PSD owner

I just purchased a 1997 F250HD supercab 4x4 with the 7.3 PSD. It has 226,000 miles and in great shape. One owner truck and the guy took great care of it. The dealer who sold it to him did all maintenance to include oil and filter changes. He just traded it back to them for a 2011 Ford Power stroke.

Need advice and what to do or not to do as far as maintenance, fuel additives, etc? Never owned a diesel truck before. I know the original owner was changing oil and fuel filter every 6000 miles. Not sure if this is correct or not. Thanks for any help and or suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

oil every 5k, most use shell rotella or motorcraft oil. but whatever floasts your boat. fuel filters every 10k to 25k. it really depends on the quality of your fuel. DK, 2-stroke oil or some percentage of biodiesel are popular fuel addatives, i dont use any. check the tranny fliud, see if it needs changing (assuming its an auto), if its gets cold where you are check your glows and relay to eb sure they work properly, you dont want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere in the cold. thats about all i can think of at the moment.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Maintenance on a diesel truck is pretty much the same as a gasser, with the exception of the viscosity of the fluids. Example: We use 15W-40 engine oil vs 10W-30 in a gas powered vehicle. Check your belts, hoses, filters, batteries, stuff like that about the same.

Obviously, the parts are way different, more robust, heavier duty and specific to the diesel truck, but you'll learn the differences as time goes on. Don't be afraid to ask questions here - Lots of folks willing to help. I've learned a lot about my truck here.

Diesel Kleen is a good additive.(there is a gray bottle and a white bottle) I don't know how cold it can get in Illinois, but if it gets down near freezing, take a look at the DK in the white bottle. It has anti-gel ingredients to help keep your fuel in liquid form. Diesel can start gelling at certain temps especially in fuel lines. I don't normally need the white bottle where I live, but I've been in winter climates where I did. It worked very well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.